Mechanical Design Engineer
Location:San Jose, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Hardware
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center, Networking
Conceptualize Design and Develop Next-Generation mechanical enclosures for electronic systems. Cisco's Mechanical Team continues to develop leading-edge electronic Packaging Solutions and your work will impact and shape the development of designs that will transform the network. Do you like challenging designs? Here you have the opportunity to use your strong background in mechanical and/or thermal knowledge to develop and innovate cutting edge EMS design. You will have an opportunity to collaborate across Cisco designing products that will change the network and make an impact on the evolution of the Service Provider products.
Participate (may take on a lead role) on a project with a team of engineers involved in mechanical and/or thermal design and development of Cisco products. Requires use of a strong background in mechanical and/or thermal engineering, EMS design, development, documentation, and implementation, on projects that may include any of the following lists of responsibilities:
- Conceptualize and develop a mechanical enclosure for electronic products.
- Architect, design, and deliver system mechanical design after specification of product requirements.
- Write complete functional and design specs independently.
- Demonstrate a high degree of originality and innovation in defining product and project level architecture.
- Familiar with design requirements such as, structure, cooling, EMC, safety, manufacturability, cost, appearance, tolerances, documentation, conforming to a family of existing products, along with aggressive schedules.
- Implement the selected design using Creo 3D CAD and provide all the necessary drawings, critical to function dimensions, and 3D files to allow the design to be prototyped and manufactured.
- Design heat sinks using guidance from thermal simulations and create the drawings and 3D files to prototype and manufacture the parts.
- Provide 3D models to be used in thermal simulations.
- Provide PCB design drawings and 3D files to the ECAD design team. Work with the electrical engineer and PCB layout to address placement concerns. Check the final design of the PCB.
- Schedule and manage peer and cross-functional team reviews of your design.
- Drives resolution of issues with CAD and manufacturing engineers in developing new designs.
- Perform and document the tolerance analysis in professional format
- Provide the vendor with improved DFM / DFA recommendations.
- Proficient in geometric tolerances, and familiar with DFx (DFA/DFM, etc.).
- Interfaces multi-functionally and leads team collaboration extending beyond workgroup.
- Develop, schedule, and manage medium to large size tasks
- BSME in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent and 6+ years of EMS design experiences. MSME preferred.
- Relevant experience in the mechanical design of computer/network equipment designed to operate in data centers is preferred.
- Broad knowledge in design constraints associated with sheet metal, plastic, PCB layout, and die-cast design.
- Experience designing sheet-metal parts using soft and hard tooling guidelines a plus
- Must have PTC's Creo based design tools
- Experience in ECO, BOM, and Deviation processes, (Agile experience a plus)
- Familiarity with PDMLink (PTC Windchill) a plus.
- Experience in Model-Based Definition (MBD) a plus
- Experience with PTC Creo Simulate a plus.
- Experience with thermal simulation and airflow testing a plus.
- Excellent verbal skills and professional presentations.
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!