Manager, Product Design/Mechanical Engineering
Location:San Francisco, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Hardware
Technology InterestInternet of Everything, Networking, Wireless, Mobility
At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect us, empower us, and drive us. By simplifying powerful technology, we can free passionate people to focus on their mission. As the fastest growing cloud-managed networking team in the world, our products and technology architecture are changing the face of enterprise networking and making cloud-managed IT a reality.
We are seeking a manager to lead and mentor our team of Product Design Mechanical Engineers and Manufacturing Process Engineers responsible for all phases of mechanical product development from concept development through mass production and sustaining.
Reporting directly to the Director of Hardware, this role offers a great opportunity to lead, hire and develop a stellar team of Mechanical Engineers and Product Designers.
As the Mechanical Engineering Manager, you own:
- Design of and alignment on processes to streamline mechanical and cross-functional NPI development
- Mentorship and career development to ME team members
- Assisting junior members in project management and enclosure design
- Facilitating knowledge exchange and design review processes
- Cross-functional communication between HWPM, Sourcing, Quality, and Product Experience teams
- Collaboration with PM to define users/use-cases for optimal installation experience
- Ensuring mechanical and ID quality uphold Meraki standards
- Driving mechanical product requirements
- Encouraging research and adoption of new manufacturing technologies
- Working with JDM ME, manufacturing, engineering and sales teams
- Working with part manufacturers to finalize tooling, 3D/2D specs, and parts
- Interfacing with commodity manufacturers (adhesives, connectors, resin vendors) to select materials
- Maintaining rolodex of ID, ME, and NPI consulting resources
- Phenomenally clear. You distill complicated ideas to just the right number of words. You are an expert listener and can pinpoint what compels an audience.
- You work between cross-functional teams, minimize conflict, and advise team members on building consensus.
- Fiercely collaborative. You take an organization-level view and are equally invested in the success of other departments. You invite and act on different points of view.
- Career champion. You invest in your team’s development, both technically and career wise. You take the time to know what inspires and motivates each person and commit to making work meaningful.
- Talent manager. This team manages tight deadlines and works with the newest technology. You will provide opportunities for growth while managing workload.
- Protector. You are protective of Meraki’s talent. You work to protect our strategic JDM talent and build the best external teams.
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- 3+ years managing an engineering team
- 8+ years designing complex consumer electronics
- Strong CAD skills with industry standard software (Creo preferred)
- Deep understanding of manufacturing processes and DFM
- Demonstrable experience with part and product design validation on-site with vendors
- Successful track record overseeing detailed mechanical design by ODM/JDM partners
- 8+ years experience with high volume manufacturing processes, including but not limited to: plastic injection molding, die casting, and sheet metal forming
- Be available to travel 10-20% to our partners in Taiwan & China.
- 5+ years experience working with Asian supply chains and JDM partners
- End-to-end development on products of moderate complexity
- Experience managing design through ME/ID remote teams or consulting agreements
Meraki is based in the Mission Bay area of San Francisco, with beautiful views of the AT&T Ballpark and the Bay beyond. You will have access to an onsite gym, multiple kitchens stocked with high quality snacks, a coffee bar, catered lunches every day, and a generous benefits package.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.