Laser R&D Engineer - Acacia - remote
Location:Holmdel, New Jersey, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Hardware
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center
Laser R&D Engineer
Acacia Communications (now part of Cisco) is looking for a laser engineer to work on research and development of semiconductor lasers for optical communications. Experience with semiconductor laser design, testing, and production is required. Experience with III-V-Si photonics integration and/or laser packaging is a plus.
Key Essential Functions:
- Simulation of semiconductor laser modules, including optical, electrical, and thermal performance.
- Numerical modeling of III-V quantum well lasers, including optical gain / loss, electrical carrier considerations, mode confinement, etc
- Investigating novel laser designs and materials for prototype development
- Transitioning prototypes into mass production with high yield and low cost
- Developing laser control algorithms, and characterizing laser performance
Essential Qualifications, Experience, Skills, Education and Certifications:
- Ph.D. or master’s degree in optical engineering, physics, electrical engineering or equivalent work experience on semiconductor lasers
- Experience with semiconductor laser development and production
- Deep understanding of laser physics, solid-state physics, waveguide design, and opto-electronics
- Experience with laser simulations, including optical gain and loss, electrical carriers, mode confinement, etc
- Familiarity with laser characterization and testing
- Experience with III-V-Si integration is preferred
- Experience with DFB lasers and external cavity lasers is preferred
- Experience with laser control algorithm development is preferred
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses.
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.