IT Sr. Software Engineer - Cloud and Application Performance Management
Location:RTP, North Carolina, US
Area of InterestInformation Technology
What You’ll Do?
As a Sr. IT Engineer - APM, you will provide the technical thought leadership, help establish innovative enterprise-level Application Performance Management strategy, and build effective solutions and practices. You will drive the architecture and design of the application performance management telemetry solution, aligning with the executive leadership and product owners along with implementation teams, to support the transformation [Agile, DevOps and SRE] and adoption of standard methodologies delivering an environment of speed, scale, and quality automated APM services.
This is an opportunity for you to work with the best of minds and tools in Cisco IT, in a dynamic and interesting field of Database and Application tuning in a MultiCloud environment. You will have numerous opportunities to work on new ground-breaking programs that deliver the next-generation application performance services.
- Continuous assessment of emerging new technologies in the enterprise APM domain
- Conduct product proof of concepts and value, establish success criteria, and provide recommendations
- Conduct performance benchmarking and develop leading-edge solutions
- Works with DevOps teams to identify the root cause of breakdowns and maintain system performance
- Be the domain specialist on APM and provide technical leadership to the organization and partners
- Partner and collaborate with Cisco Architectural community and partners to develop APM standard methodologies and efficient solutions
- Provide APM technology direction and integrate into the DevOps model to accelerate APM service delivery
- Build automated APM solutions that can be consumed in a self-serviceable manner
- Be the point of contact for critical issues. Mentor team members
- Participate in root cause analysis of Database/SQL performance problems and recommend a solution for Production as well as Release environments
- Accountable technical leader for continuous service improvement
- Develop automated performance tuning and testing solution for the end-users which can be integrated into development tools
- Incorporate leading-edge technologies and methodologies such as Machine Learning and Analytics to improve the efficiency of the APM service
Who You Are
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent
- 10+ years of deep APM experience in a diverse and complex infrastructure
- Knowledge of a diverse set of APM tools and products including Dynatrace, New Relic, IT CAM, Gomez, Oracle SLM, is preferred
- In-depth experience with AppDynamics is a must.
- Exposure to Load testing techniques and tools including Neoload and other industry tools
- 10+ years’ experience in end-to-end transaction monitoring and performance management, performance tuning of Front-end and Back-end systems including .Net, Python, WebSphere, JBoss, WebLogic, Apache, and SQL tuning
- Experience in the optimization of Oracle SQL Queries
- Exposure to performance tuning of Open Source DBs (Cassandra, Mongo, PostgreSQL) is highly preferred
- Knowledge of Machine Learning and its application to APM and Load Testing is a big plus
- Exposure to Kubernetes, Docker Containers
- Ability to programmatically (Python / Java / GO or the like) conduct operational work
- Thorough understanding of multi-threading concepts, thread and heap dumps, and general Unix and Linux OS
- Knowledge in Java, J2ee, ejb, jsp , jms , xml, web services, Knowledge of Spring, Struts, Hibernate, Ruby, Scala, PHP
- Solid knowledge of open source tools would e.g. JMeter
- Knowledge of / exposure to various commercial and open-source products including Prometheus, Kafka, Spark, Grafana, is a plus.
- Strong Exec-level oral and written communication skills. Ability to influence technical discussions and decisions at Director level and above
- Strong problem-solving skills and technical capability
- Experience working in a Waterfall, Iterative, and Agile development environments"
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!