IT Intern - Tracing in a distributed system - Switzerland
Location:Ecublens, Vaud, Switzerland
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestSoftware Development, Testing
Location: Cisco Office, EPFL Innovation Park, Ecublens
Start date: February 2020
Why you'll love Cisco:
Are you ready to change the World? Do you want to be passionate about your employer and the brand you represent? Everything is converging on the Internet, making networked connections more meaningful than ever before in our lives. Our employees' groundbreaking ideas impact everything imaginable - from entertainment, retail, healthcare, and education, to public and private sectors, smart cities, and everyday devices in our homes. Here, that means you will take creative ideas from the drawing board to dynamic solutions that have real world impact. You'll collaborate with Cisco leaders, partner with expert mentors, and develop incredible relationships with colleagues who share your interest in connecting the unconnected. You'll be part a team that cares about its customers, enjoys having fun, and you'll take part in changing the lives of those in our local communities. Come prepared to be encouraged and inspired!
What you’ll do:
Distributed software architectures are powerful but have their challenges, especially regarding debugging across devices. The traditional debugging method does not scale and that's because a call may involve multiple devices, and it's very hard to combine data to get a single stack trace. Therefore, tracing individual flows across a distributed system is an essential component in an observability system. However, current implementations focus on web applications and microservices. We want to build a modern distributing tracing system for a wireless solution. The system can gather information from the controller, the access point, and other deployed devices such as authentication servers and analytics services. Among others, use cases of such system include troubleshooting errors, anomaly detection, latency problems discovery, exploring dependencies, and validating functionality.
Your activities will include:
- Research state of the art on distributed tracing.
- Design of a low overhead code instrumentation system.
- Definition of the tracing data model. For example, sampling rates, entry points, system components, integration with other observability methods.
- Implementation and enablement of some flows.
- Integration with a tracing collector (e.g. telemetry collector, Zipkin, Cisco DNA-C, App Dynamics, custom).
Who you are:
- Willing to learn and work in a team
- Independent and self driven
- Creative problem-solving mindset
- Enjoy looking at practical real-life challenges and thinking creatively to solve them.
What you need to be eligible:
- Master student in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related major
- Strong knowledge of programming and scripting languages (C and a scripting language like Python)
- Good understanding of computer networks and networking technologies
- Fluent in English
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference. Here’s how we do it. We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (30 years strong!) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. A blockchain company. An AI/Machine Learning company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box! But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.) Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, we give our egos a break and we give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, we take bold steps, and we take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a commitment to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Be you, with us!