Hardware Test Engineer
Location:San Jose, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Hardware
What You'll Do
Cisco is looking for a Transceiver Module Hardware Test Engineer in the Transceiver Module Group (TMG) located in San Jose, CA-US. TMG manages all optical interconnection technologies in Cisco, spanning from 100Mbit/s to 800Gbit/s interfaces across all media, from Copper cables to Multimode Fiber to Single Mode Fiber. You will be a pivotal member of a new product development and sustaining team, responsible for defining, implementing the module test procedures, and carrying out the module test characterization and qualification. You will be working on qualification of transceiver optical modules on multiple Cisco platforms.
High Level Responsibilities:
- Devise the overall test and configuration strategy for new optical modules and transceiver products
- Utilize product functional and architectural knowledge to implement optimal test processes
- Implement new equipment and assemble test systems and environments
- Design and develop various automation to implement the test strategy
- Learn to configure and execute tests on multiple Cisco platforms
- Perform optical module product feature validations and system level EDVT
- Characterize module low speed IO (input/output) functionalities and electrical timing characteristics
- Operate and debug the testing equipment and stations to root cause and resolve issues
- Write test report and document the test requirement, procedure, and result
Who You'll Work With
Work environment will be characterized by frequent contacts and interactions with many different design, test, manufacturing and support groups across Cisco and with third parties such as Suppliers and/or Customers.
Who You Are
- Hands on experience with electrical and optical test and measurement equipment including fiber cables, optical attenuators, switches/routers, power suppliers, digital multi-meters, and oscilloscopes
- Familiarity with EEPROM programming, digital logic, and micro-controllers
- Experience with automated test of electronic or optoelectronic components and instrument control (Unix/Linux, Python, Tcl/Expect or Lab View)
- Familiarity with major electronics designs used in optical telecommunications
- Experience with basic networking, Cisco IOS/NXOS a plus
- Experience with traffic generators, Ixia/Spirent a plus
- Experience looking at product specifications and datasheets for analyzing results and performance
- Capable to work in a dynamic environment
- Possesses a quality-oriented mindset and attention to details
- Strong troubleshooting, problem solving, analytical, and critical thinking skills
- Strong teamwork skills
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering with 2+ years of relevant experience
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference. Here’s how we do it.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong!) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. An AI/Machine Learning company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!