Hardware Engineer, Hardware & Firmware Security
Location:RTP, North Carolina, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Hardware
Technology InterestNetworking, Security
What You'll Do
The Hardware & Firmware Security team seeks an energetic, proactive hardware engineer to design, implement, test and support security features & solutions. This position provides an opportunity to grow and learn in the product development security space. The ideal candidate will have skills in both general digital hardware and FPGA development, as well as experience working with embedded processor systems.
- Responsibilities are focused on the development of hardware and firmware-based security technologies to improve the trustworthiness of Cisco products, and the deployment of these technologies with product teams across Cisco.
- This is multifaceted role including development activities with hardware and software peers within the Hardware & Firmware Security team, applications engineering serving the product teams deploying security technologies, assessment of system architectures and components for security capabilities and/or vulnerabilities, and education to increase the security awareness of others.
- The successful candidate will need to be comfortable working in an environment with many concurrent activities and be able to prioritize and manage concurrent tasks.
- Since security threats are dynamic and constantly evolving, the role will also require ongoing education to improve security knowledge and awareness, investigation of new security threats and technologies to address them, as well as evaluation of security solutions.
- Designing, developing, documenting, testing hardware as well as combined hardware and firmware-based security technologies.
- Hardware development and test utilizing CPU evaluation platforms as well as Cisco products under development.
- Assisting product teams deploying hardware and software security technologies.
- Developing documentation, proof of concepts, reference code, and scripts to facilitate adoption and verification of security technologies.
- Analyzing new software and hardware security technologies and identifying mechanisms to integrate and deploy these technologies across a wide variety of Cisco products.
- Participating in, and contributing to, hardware architecture, design, specifications, and HDL code reviews.
Who You'll Work With
The Security & Trust Organization has corporate-level responsibility for customer data protection and compliance, corporate information protection, and government and product security. Security is a key concern of our customers and a top investment area for Cisco. Join us and help us become the #1 Trusted IT Company in the World.
Within the Security & Trust Organization, the Foundational Security Team (FST) seeks to increase product security and trustworthiness across a broad range of Cisco products through development, integration and deployment of reusable software and hardware solutions. Within Foundation Security, the Hardware & Firmware Security team focuses on security solutions implemented at the hardware and firmware level.
Who You Are
- B.S./M.S. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related technical field
- Experience with embedded CPU systems and architecture
- Experience with FPGA devices and Verilog HDL
- Ability to interpret hardware system schematics, PCB layouts, and technical functional specifications
- Experience with hands-on hardware debug and test in a lab environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proactive and independent initiative for completing work tasks and solving pup-up issues
- Enjoy problem solving and helping others solve hardware issues
- Able to work independently and with a cross functional team
Desired Skills/Qualifications/System Experience:
- 4-8 years’ experience in hardware development, debug, and test with embedded CPU systems
- Experience with board level bring-up using hardware debug tools
- Experience with x86 and ARM CPUs and boot architecture
- Ability to understand, debug, and create FPGA logic using Verilog Hardware Description Language
- Experience with use of lab tools including soldering/rework, oscilloscopes, logic analyzers
- Experience with general hardware product development phases and methodology
- Scripting language experience such as Python or Linux shell scripts a plus
- Low level software skills and understanding of CPU bootstrap code a plus
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!
*LI-PRIORITY AND *LI-KM1