Hardware Engineer - Bay Area
Location:San Jose, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Hardware
What You'll Do
Cisco is looking for a Transceiver Module Hardware Test Engineer in the Transceiver Module Group (TMG) located in San Jose, CA- US. TMG manages all optical interconnection technologies in Cisco, spanning from 100Mbit/s to 800Gbit/s interfaces across all media, from direct-attach copper cables to Multimode Fiber to Single Mode Fiber. You will be a pivotal member of a new product development and sustaining team, responsible for defining, implementing the module test procedures, and carrying out the module test characterization and qualification. You will be working on qualification of transceiver optical modules on multiple Cisco platforms.
Role & Responsibilities
- Devise the overall test and configuration strategy for new optical modules and transceiver products
- Utilize product functional and architectural knowledge to implement optimal test processes
- Implement new equipment and assemble test systems and environments
- Design and develop various automation to implement the test strategy
- Learn to configure and execute tests on multiple Cisco platforms
- Perform optical module product feature validations and system level EDVT
- Characterize module low speed IO (input/output) functionalities and electrical timing characteristics
- Operate and debug the testing equipment and stations to root cause and resolve issues
- Write test report and document the test requirement, procedure, and result
Who You Are
You are a tenacious and patient engineer with strong multi-tasking, decision making, and problem-solving skills who is also focused on innovation and dedication to customer success. You possess a "can do" attitude, independent thinking, and ability to articulate complex technical issues in an effective manner. Capable to work in a dynamic environment, you possess a quality-oriented mindset and attention to details, an ability to diagnose problems and communicate failures to the team, and have an ability to learn quickly and adapt to a dynamic work environment. You have strong teamwork skills and are skilled at troubleshooting, problem solving, analytical, and critical thinking.
Our Minimum Requirements for This Role:
- B.S. or M.S. in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering
- 5+ years of relevant work experience
- Hands on experience with electrical and optical test and measurement equipment including fiber cables, optical attenuators, switches/routers, power suppliers, digital multi-meters, and oscilloscopes
- Familiarity with EEPROM programming, digital logic, and micro-controllers
- Experience with automated test of electronic or optoelectronic components and instrument control (Unix/Linux, Python, Tcl/Expect, CTE, or Lab View)
- Familiarity with major electronics designs used in optical telecommunications
- Experience with basic networking (Cisco IOS/NXOS or CCNA a plus)
- Experience with traffic generators (Ixia/Spirent)
- Experience looking at product specifications and datasheets for analyzing results and performance
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We Are Cisco
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.