Hardware Design Engineer - Acacia
Location:Maynard, Massachusetts, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Hardware
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center
Acacia designs, develops, manufactures and sells intelligent transceivers using sophisticated signal processing and photonic integration for the 100G, 400G and 1T bit speed fiber optic transmission market deployed in data center, metro, long-haul and ultra-long haul telecommunication networks.
We are looking for an engineer to be key member of Acacia’s Hardware team, contributing to the hardware life cycle of our products which are deployed in Cisco’s core network routers and switches, as well as some key hyperscale data centers.
The Hardware Engineer will work within a multi-disciplinary hardware, Software, Optics, Silicon Photonics, and DSP engineering organization. You will be responsible for the design and validation of Acacia’s ultra-high data rates (>1 Tbps) electro-optical modules/sub-systems and contribute to the designs taking advantage of state-of-the-art electronics and packaging components.Our products are designed to meet bleeding edge telecommunications standards and comply to stringent Bell Core operational and environmental standards.
- Contribute to design, debug, DVT of high-speed mixed signal designs
- Contribute to design and test of low noise high efficiency DC-DC power supplies
- Test and validate new electro-optical transmission products
- Contribute to product documentation - Design, DVT, and Test specifications
Minimum Qualifications, Experience, Skills, Education and Certifications:
- BS or M.S (Preferred) in Electrical Engineering with 3-5 years of relevant industry experience
- Hands-on experience testing or designing basic analog design circuits (ADC, DACs, Op Amps, TIAs, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience with basic digital circuitry, protocols, and interfaces (UART, SPI, I2C, MDIO, CPUs, memory, FPGAs, etc.)
- Basic understanding of high-efficiency ultra-low noise DC-DC power converters
- Basic understanding of transmission line theory and effects (micro strip, strip line, CPW, etc.)
- Knowledge of analog/RF simulation tools (e.g. LTSpice®, ADS®)
- Debugging and lab skills including working with test equipment (Scopes, Spectrum analyzers, etc.)
- Experience with schematic capture and layout tools (DxDesigner® & Allegro® or equivalent)
- Ability to flourish with minimal guidance and handle uncertainty and ambiguity is key for this postion
Highly Desired Skills:
- Demonstrated experience with analog circuitry is a Big plus!
- Understanding of PCB material and layout techniques for high speed signaling (20+ GHz)
- Knowledge of low noise analog circuitry, PLLs, and analog and digital feedback controls systems
- Knowledge of optical components (lasers, modulators, detectors, DWDM technologies, etc.)
- Understanding and implementing of digital control loops and DSP functions
- Working knowledge of FPGAs and RTL coding
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.