H/W Engineer - Frontend power engineering
Location:San Jose, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Hardware
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center
For years, Cisco's vision has been to change the way the world works, lives, plays, and learns. Our vision is more relevant today than ever. We made the Internet what it is today. First, we focused on creating connectivity. Now, we're entering the Internet of Everything transition—an era where we'll help create unprecedented value by connecting the unconnected.
The Internet of Everything is a global industry phenomenon that is driving the biggest market transition for Cisco and our customers. This includes the intelligent connection of people, process, data, and things. It's where everything is converged on the Internet, making networked connections more relevant and valuable than before.
To help us bring this vision to life, join us in our exciting journey.
Senior Hardware Engineer (Front-End Power)
We are looking for an experienced senior level Hardware Engineer for our industry leading Switching and Routing products, who can develop highly reliable FEP systems for Cisco networking products and support Front-End Power (FEP) supply sustaining engineering activities including field failure analysis (FA) with root cause and corrective action.
The successful candidate will be involved in the architecture, design, development, and qualification tests of power systems/sub-systems/components for highly reliable networking equipment. The candidate will be a key contributor to the FEP team and will be responsible for sustaining FEP products including FA and the creation of highly reliable power systems and power supplies.
- Lead the resolution for power related field product problems and customer issues including troubleshooting, performing FA, and following RMAs on assigned projects.
- Design and develop low to high power front-end AC and DC input power supplies.
- Generate power system and subsystem functional specifications with internal cross-functional teams for clear definition and product requirements.
- Define, direct, and participate in power design verification testing.
- Design and develop power systems to meet international regulatory requirements, EMC requirements, reliability requirements, environmental requirements, and leading telecom industry requirements including NEBS.
- Study power systems and product feasibility in conjunction with COG and delivery targets.
- Lead and enhance the power product design and development processes for high efficiency and highly reliable power products.
- Ensure that all hardware engineering projects, initiatives, and processes are in conformance with organization's established policies and objectives.
- Provide technical documents for power RFQ package and review vendor’s technical proposals, capabilities, and development processes for the power project team’s vendor selection and program award process.
- Lead FEP projects and developments with vendors in line with Cisco power development and quality process, verify specification conformance, provide design reviews, review design validation testing (DVT), identify possible issues proactively, and resolve them to meet committed deliverables through regular project team meetings and follow-ups.
- Write and maintain specifications, test plans and procedures.
- Test FEP supplies, systems, assemblies, and components for specification compliance, EDVT, MDVT, and support other testing efforts in HALT and compliance such as EMI, safety, and NEBS.
- Provide leadership in the identification and creation of new power conversion techniques and new power components to advance the processes used in power supplies and power system development.
- Interface cross-functionally and lead team collaboration globally, extending beyond the work group.
- Resolve conflicts by fostering team communications.
- Translate BU level goals into individual work assignments.
The successful applicant should have a proven track record of delivering quality power products and should possess the following skills and experience:
- Minimum 5 years of experience working as a power design engineer and sustaining engineer for redundant FEP DC and AC input supplies and systems power architecture for Networking and Telecom equipment.
- Experience with prototype power system troubleshooting and initial power bring-up with proficient digital power management controller programming skills.
- Expertise in power conversion topologies/trade-offs, analog circuit designs, and circuit simulations.
- Experience with resolving EMI, EMC, regulatory compliance issues.
- Power system architecture design experience including power zoning, highly available system level power redundancy schemes, and quantitative performance predictions.
- Experience with schematic capture tools such as Cadence Concept and board layout review tools such as Allegro Physical viewer.
- Experience with signal integrity analysis for power.
- Experience in managing and working with vendor design (schematic entry and PCB Layout).
- Technical leadership in designing, testing and project managing of the development of power products for the worldwide market, meeting regulatory compliance requirements and telecom industry standards.
- Experience with power system loop stability analysis and optimization.
- Proficient skills in power testing equipment including power analyzers, spectrum analyzers, loop stability analyzers, storage oscilloscopes, function generators, electronic loads and so on…
- Demonstrates ability to successfully influence win-win cross-functional dynamics.
- Applies high degree of ingenuity using broad parameters for foundation of decisions.
- Makes product level decisions independently.
- Technical, Industrial, Business and Cross-Functional Knowledge.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and scheduling type programs.
- Have outstanding communication, presentation and written skills as well as an ability to deal effectively with both technologists and business representatives, and to sell and promote ideas across the organization.
- Requires BSEE as a minimum educational background
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!