Graduate Cloud Native Platform Engineer - Norway
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Job TypeEarly in Career
Cisco Norway is a global leader in developing video conferencing technology - helping millions of people connect and collaborate around the world. At our development center outside Oslo, we have 400 engineers working with hardware and software - from idea to design, mechanics, audio, media processing and artificial intelligence. Our solutions are used by small businesses and large corporations, universities, governments, and international organizations.
What You'll Do
As a Cloud Engineer within the Webex Cloud Native Platform organization, you will work with teams that build robust, highly available and stable platform services to host 100s of backend services. You will shape our next-gen, provider-agnostic, auto-scaled platform that ensures service availability and quality whilst facilitating high change velocity!
The role will involve:
- Learning state-of-the-art cloud native technologies
- Extending the Kubernetes ecosystem at Webex
- Hands-off continuous integration and deployment
- Detection and auto-remediation to achieve > 99.99% of service uptime
- Tuning applications to perform at scale
- Working with distributed systems and security
- Complex problem solving
You will get the opportunity to use and improve open-source Cloud Native technologies to make an impact at Webex. Periodically take part in on-call support to investigate and remediate incidents that may be experienced by other teams that rely on our platform services.
Who You'll Work With
Webex is redefining the future of collaboration. We are creating a world where people come together easily on their own terms and with no limitations on device, location, time, or distance. Our group builds innovative collaboration technologies, deployed daily to numerous data centres around the world.
Cloud Native Platform engineering group is a global, fun, passionate and upbeat team with a mission to build, run and improve the underpinning platform services which make our offering the best-in-class collaboration services possible, at an outstanding scale.
Who You Are
You are an enthusiastic and highly driven engineer who can multitask, quickly learn new technologies and see solutions and issues through to the end. You are also able to work across software development, quality assurance, operations, and support.
- Ability and the passion to learn new things quickly
- Experience with Unix systems and command tools
- Experience with some programming languages e.g. Python
Desired Technical Skills
- Container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Working with cloud providers (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Experience in Micro Service Architecture
- Service Mesh (Istio, Linkerd)
- Experience with cloud, Linux and Kubernetes security and secure engineering practices
- Working with Logs and Metrics Stacks
- Other CNCF technologies and programming languages (Go, Groovy)
You have earned a degree with high academic achievements at a university and are able to demonstrate your passion for technology.
What we offer you
- A competitive salary and bonus scheme
- A flexible working environment and hours
- Birthday day off – because you deserve it
- Continuous learning through training programs and stretch assignments
- Passionate colleagues who are motivated to solve complex problems
- Freedom to explore, extend and contribute to Cloud Native technologies
- To participate and coordinate events like hackathons
- Opportunities to present excellent engineering work in internal and public forums
- a Cisco Fun group – dedicated to creating social activities and great memories
- a Cisco Play group – that organizes team sports, yoga and weekly bootcamps at our in-house fitness center – to strengthen your body and relieve your stress
- six weeks holiday – to make sure you’re well rested
- up to 10 (paid) days for volunteer work – to make the world a better place
- and of course, office barista and free ice cream on warm summer days!
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference because we believe that inspired people can make anything happen. That is probably why we were ranked #1 in World's Best Workplace in both 2019 and 2020 and #1 Norway’s Best Workplace in 2021. We have a culture of recognition and believe that flexibility in the workplace is the key to a good work-life balance.
Start date: August 2023 (can be negotiated depending on your current study and availability)
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire, full-time salaries in U.S. locations, not including equity or benefits. For non-sales roles the hiring ranges reflect base salary only; employees are also eligible to receive annual bonuses. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive compensation target. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications, or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.
U.S. employees have access to quality medical, dental and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan with a Cisco matching contribution, short and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance and numerous wellbeing offerings. Employees receive up to twelve paid holidays per calendar year, which includes one floating holiday, plus a day off for their birthday. Employees accrue up to 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) each year and have access to paid time away to deal with critical or emergency issues without tapping into their PTO. We offer additional paid time to volunteer and give back to the community. Employees are also able to purchase company stock through our Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Employees on sales plans earn performance-based incentive pay on top of their base salary, which is split between quota and non-quota components. For quota-based incentive pay, Cisco pays at the standard rate of 1% of incentive target for each 1% revenue attainment against the quota up to 100%. Once performance exceeds 100% quota attainment, incentive rates may increase up to five times the standard rate with no cap on incentive compensation. For non-quota-based sales performance elements such as strategic sales objectives, Cisco may pay up to 125% of target. Cisco sales plans do not have a minimum threshold of performance for sales incentive compensation to be paid.