Full Stack Software Engineer Intern - Summer 2023 (Meraki)
Location:San Francisco, California, US
Alternate LocationChicago & Some Internships Open to Remote
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestNetworking, Software Development, Testing
Summer (May 2023 - August 2023), full-time work schedule, Monday- Friday 40 hours per week
Cisco Meraki Business Unit
The modern world runs on the Internet, and the Internet cannot exist without its underlying infrastructure. Meraki makes setting up, managing, and maintaining that infrastructure easier than it has ever been before. Meraki enables connectivity everywhere from neighborhood cafes to education institutions to global hospitality groups operating thousands of sites.
As a Full Stack Engineer at Meraki, you will help craft and build features for Meraki's Dashboard - the window to the entire Meraki experience. From Dashboard, our customers can control their entire Meraki stack: access points, switches, firewalls, client devices, cameras, and more. You will work across the stack with other developers, UX designers, and product management to build and improve the Dashboard web application. Meraki engineers put the customer experience first, own projects from beginning to end, and are empowered to make impactful decisions.
Meraki believes that the quality of our product is dependent on the quality of our engineers. We place a high value on nurturing the growth and development of everyone on our team. We foster an open and supportive workplace where everybody is given the opportunity to succeed.
Example projects of a Full Stack Web Developer Intern:
- Create services to fetch data from millions of Meraki devices, then present that data in a user-friendly way
- Improve performance and efficiency of our backend, allowing us to handle increasingly large datasets with minimal delay
- Build internal frameworks and refine front end infrastructure to augment developer productivity
- Construct API endpoints to allow Meraki users and third party companies to build custom tools and features
- Build a dashboard for anomaly / outlier detection on network traffic using machine learning algorithms
- Build a graph for network traffic analysis using clustering and other algorithms
You are an outstanding applicant if:
- You are pursuing a technical bachelors degree or have equivalent experience with a strong foundation in the fundamentals of computer science -OR- pursuing a software/coding boot camp (or educational training program) and/or technical associates degree with a strong foundation in the fundamentals of computer science.
- You strive to build rich and dynamic web applications with front-end frameworks such as React, Redux, Ember, or Angular
- You are familiar with programming languages and web frameworks like Ruby (Rails, EventMachine), Python (Django, Flask), or Node.js (Express)
- You have worked with SQL and relational Databases
- You would flourish within a small engineering team and are excited to tackle open-ended problems
- Authorized to work in the U.S. without requiring sponsorship now or in the future
Intern Program Overview:
Meraki interns and co-ops join the team for 12 and 16 week programs, respectively, and are placed directly onto subteams. During the program, interns/co-ops have the opportunity to work on a small starter project, such as integration and implementation of new tools, before spending the majority of the program on a larger project, such as building the infrastructure for a new service. Projects are cross functional, which allow insight into new languages and technologies, help encourage professional growth within engineering, and allow a sense of ownership within the team.
Meraki’s engineering teams place a high emphasis on mentorship. Each intern and co-op is matched 1:1 with a mentor who provides continual feedback and guidance throughout the duration of the program. Mentors help with introductions to other team members, overviews of tools and processes, and provide a seamless integration into Meraki life.
- Housing Assistance
- Competitive salary
- Weekly social events inside and outside of the office (Giants games, Exploratorium tickets, friendly soccer games)
- Lunch and dinner daily
- Customized laptop and desk setups
- Medical coverage plan
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.