Firmware / Embedded Engineer - Yearlong, Co-Op, Meraki (2023-24)
Location:San Francisco, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Hardware
Technology InterestInternet of Everything, Software Development, Testing
The modern world runs on the Internet, and the Internet cannot exist without its underlying infrastructure! Meraki makes setting up, managing and maintaining that infrastructure easier than it has ever been before. Meraki enables connectivity everywhere from neighborhood cafes to education institutions to global hospitality groups operating thousands of sites.
Our Hardware Team leads on all products and controls every aspect of creation. From architecture and initial sketches through detailed design and final objective: mass and sustained production. Nothing escapes the Hardware team's sphere of influence and responsibility.
Meraki believes that the quality of our product is dependent on the superiority of our engineers. We value and encourage the growth and development of everyone on our team. We support an open and creative workplace where everyone is given the opportunity to reach their own potential!
What we look for in Co-Op candidates:
- Pursuing a BA/BS in Computer Science, ECE, EE, ME, or STEM-related field
- Ability to fully participate in this 12-month Co-Op on a full-time basis within our San Francisco, CA office (from Summer 2023 - 24)
- Prior experience working on Embedded Systems (C/C++, Microcontrollers, FPGAs, Linux)
- Familiarity with Computer Engineering concepts (memory, I/O, synchronization)
- The ability to empathize, communicate clearly, and remain flexible.
- Life-long learners who can quickly pick up working in multiple frameworks, languages, and environments
- Enthusiastic: a terrific teammate
- Continually able to learn from experience and with an appetite for feedback
- Previous internship or large-scale project experience is desired
Projects and Work-Life:
During the program, Co-Ops work on new product developments which have a real impact on our customers. Our projects are cross-functional, which provides insight into new languages and technologies (firmware & hardware). It also helps encourage professional growth within engineering and allows a sense of ownership within the team.
Meraki’s engineering teams place a high emphasis on mentorship. Each Co-Op is matched 1:1 with a mentor who provides continual feedback and guidance throughout the program. Mentors help with introductions to other team members, overviews of tools and processes, and provide a detailed integration into Meraki life.
Examples of Previous Projects:
- Implementation of secure boot for a new system on a chip (SoC)
- Bring-up of new sensors for our MT sensor line
- Bootloader development for new SoCs
- Linux driver integration to control peripherals such as LEDs, current monitor, temperature sensor, etc.
- Housing Assistance for the duration of the program + airfare to get to San Francisco, CA (within North America)
- Competitive salary
- Weekly social events (in-person and remote)
- Breakfast and lunch daily
- Customized laptop and desk setups
- Medical coverage plan, PTO, sick days, and paid holidays
Does this sound like you? We’d love to hear from you!!
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we're challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We're building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.