Engineering Manager, Embedded Platform Bring-Up, MX
Location:San Francisco, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Our mission at Cisco Meraki is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most important to them: their customers, students, patients, and businesses. We’re making networking smarter, faster, and easier to deploy. We have millions of devices deployed and because they are managed from the cloud, we are able to use real-time data to continuously improve the performance and stability of our products.
In this role you will lead a platform team for the MX Security Appliance, a Linux based product with a wide range of advanced routing and security features. You will direct a small team (3-5 persons), providing them technical mentorship as well as planning the team’s roadmap. Your team’s mission is to build new MX products by integrating everything from bootloaders to web servers on prototype hardware.
As a Software Engineer Lead focused on platform bring-up, you will:
- Assist in bringing up new MX platforms, owning projects from block-diagram concepts, to prototype boards, all the way to shipping product
- Collaborate with our Hardware Engineering team and our manufacturing partners on the architecture for new Meraki products and developing secure, reliable, and scalable manufacturing processes
- Plan and track platform bring-up timelines, updating the rest of the team when things change
- Write performance reviews and encourage the professional growth of everyone on your team
- Identify gaps in your team’s knowledge or ability to execute, and from there work with our recruiters to build out the team and fill those gaps
- Be a part of the leadership of the larger MX team: weighing in on development priorities, projects going on across the team, etc.
You are ideal candidate if you have:
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field
- Leadership experience on projects involving substantial planning and coordination (either in a formal role or de facto)
- 4+ Years professional experience in Linux-based platform bringup
- 4+ Years experience in C/C++
- Strong systems and foundational networking knowledge (systems architecture, memory hierarchy, storage subsystems, LANs, routing)
- Expert knowledge of embedded systems development concepts, including cross-platform development and build tools (GNU toolchain, OpenWRT, buildroot, Yocto), bootloaders (U-Boot, coreboot, UEFI), kernel configuration, device drivers, device trees
- Experience reading schematics and data sheets
Bonus points for:
- Experience with Ethernet switch chips, crypto acceleration, or hardware offload engines
- Experience with multi-threaded or parallel programming
- Knowledge of wireless protocols (e.g., 802.11, Bluetooth)
Based in our sunny San Francisco office with beautiful views of the AT&T Ballpark and the Bay beyond, Meraki offers an onsite gym, multiple kitchens stocked with high quality snacks, catered lunches every single day and a generous benefits package.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.