Engineering Manager – Backend/Java
Location:Waltham, Massachusetts, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestBig Data, Analytics, Cloud and Data Center, Networking, Security, Software Development, Testing
Technical/Development Lead - Backend (Manager)
Cisco Systems is offering an outstanding opportunity to lead a small, innovative team with a low process, high throughput culture. The team is working on Cisco Defense Orchestrator, which manages policy and configuration of Security Business Group's firewalls and security services. We are looking for an energetic engineering lead who can help define and drive our cross-appliance policy and configuration management architecture.
What you’ll do:
In this role you will be working on one-week sprints in a fast paced team to deliver a slick, fast, and consistent security policy management experience across the entire gamut of Cisco devices to our customers. This role will provide you experience in managing engineering teams and running projects across a highly distributed environment. Specific responsibilities include:
· Serving as a technical manager for distributed teams that develop new, cloud-based security products
· Leading and coding through all phases of software development from requirement gathering through implementation and maintenance
· Growing the team by interviewing and hiring awesome talent
· Collaborating with an agile product team and deliver on key initiatives across multiple business groups
· Building relationships across security business groups
· Delivering high quality features with extensive automation coverage, including the application of a test driven development methodology
· Architecting innovative, scalable SaaS products
· Supporting the development of aggressive project goals and schedules
· Communicating technical concepts to a wide range of audiences spanning executives to junior engineers
· Mentoring junior engineers
Who you are:
· Hands on technical manager with experience both coding and leading a software engineering team
· Experienced developing core Java code with a focus on scalability and security
· Experienced with the full lifecycle delivery for multiple products from conception to shipping
· Proficient with technologies including firewalls, IPS, Web Security
· SaaS experience or good understanding of microservices and public clouds such as AWS or Azure
Bonus points for the following:
· Experience working in a start-up environment
· Agile software development experience
· Experience with network configuration products
Who we are:
Cisco Defense Orchestrator (https://www.getcdo.com) is a SaaS product deployed on the public cloud that enables Cisco security customers to manage their security policies simply, consistently, and effectively across their entire portfolio of firewalls and services.
Starting out in 2014 with zero lines of code as an Alpha project (Cisco-funded startup), we have moved fast, releasing new features to our customers every week and going from 0 to over 500 customers (including many household names).
Our product is built using a microservices architecture written in Java and Node.js, and an intuitive UI built on Angular. Our core development team comprises multiple scrum teams split across the UK, Israel, and the United States. Our scrum teams have a great degree of autonomy and are encouraged to come up with creative solutions to complex problems.
We work on one-week sprints, with fully automated CI and release into facsimiles of production multiple times a day. We do not believe in silos — every developer is responsible for ensuring their features are tested at every level (from end-to-end to unit tests), and we operate in a DevOps environment where developers with interest in learning to run large, scalable cloud services are responsible for deploying and managing our production environment on a rotational basis.
While we work hard, we do like to let our hair down together, with a spot of bowling, some fancy cocktails, or a good old-fashioned pint down at the local. While we often work to aggressive deadlines, we recognize the importance of a work/life balance and fitting your work around your life rather than the other way round.
We connect everything: people, processes, data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking bold risks to shape the technologies that give us smart cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. And we do it in style with unique personalities who aren’t afraid to change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns.
We are thought leaders, tech geeks, pop culture aficionados, and we even have a few purple haired rock stars. We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers.
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in the U.S., unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.