Engineer, Mechanical Engineering
Area of InterestEngineer - Hardware
Why You'll Love Cisco
Everything is converging on the Internet, making networked connections more relevant than ever before in our lives. Our employees' groundbreaking ideas impact everything imaginable - from entertainment, retail, healthcare, and education, to public and private sectors, smart cities, smart cars, and everyday devices in our homes. Here, that means taking creative ideas from the drawing board to powerful solutions that have real world impact. You'll collaborate with Cisco leaders, partner with experienced mentors, and develop incredible relationships with colleagues who share your interest in connecting the unconnected. You'll be part a team that cares about its customers, enjoys having fun, and you'll take part in changing the lives of those in our local communities. Come prepared to be inspired.
What you will do:
As the Mechanical Product Engineer you will provide new product and on-going engineering (including DFM/DFA) for a specific product or group of products from pre-concept commit through EOL. For new products, you will collaborate with Design Engineering (mechanical and hardware), process, test and reliability engineering to tackle problems and ensure cost avoidance and quality at FCS. For sustaining products, you will focus on cost reduction and design related yield improvements.
High Level Responsibilities:
- Perform New Product Engineering / Product sustaining engineering
- Design for Manufacturing
- Value engineering - Engage early with Component Engineering, GSM and Hardware engineering and influence on component selection, process efficiency, and design changes
- BOM structuring and BOM risk Management.
- Design tools proficiency (ProE, Adobe Illustrator, DFMPro)
- Assessing CM and supply chain technical capability gaps
- Crafting, analyzing, and releasing product documentation
- Cost avoidance (pre-A0) and sustaining cost reduction
- Technical lifecycle management (defect reduction team participation, new component qualification, etc)
- Mfg. (Process) review
Who You'll Work With
You'll be working very closely with HW Engineering, the Product Ops team, GSM, Mfg Ops and CM/EMS partners. In collaboration, you will influence on component selection, process efficiency, and design changes.
Who You Are
You will have good analytics, decision-making and strong communication skills to influence others. In addition, minimum requirements for this role are:
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent plus 12 years related experience
- Experiences with ProE, Adobe Illustrator, DFM Pro and other manufacturing tools used in the job
- Deep understanding of sheet metal, die casting and plastic fabrication process and technology.
- Understanding of the entire product development process.
- Proven track record working in a team setting and multi-tasking.
- Experience working on a switch/server/rack product is a plus
- Good written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills
We connect everything: people, processes, data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking bold risks to shape the technologies that give us smart cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. And we do it in style with unique personalities who aren’t afraid to change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns.
We are thought leaders, tech geeks, pop culture aficionados, and we even have a few purple haired rock stars. We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers.
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!