Director of Engineering
Location:San Jose, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Within Cisco’s Security Business we are building a set of infrastructure solutions to enable our customers to create the most advanced security products in the market. We work in an exciting field supporting one of the strongest growth areas in the technology industry, in turn, we are developing innovative cloud solutions and infrastructure engineering competence in a way to accelerate this growth. We operate across 60 Datacenter footprints in 20 countries, we offer a mix of public and private cloud capabilities delivered across a powerful global multi-terabit network. If you’re interested in working within a dynamic engineering environment, like the challenge of working with an international community and have the leadership skills necessary to drive the growth of our product... We would love to hear from you!
What You'll Do
As the Director of Engineering, you will be responsible for the development, operations, and security for the network and platform that runs Cisco Umbrella and other products within the Security Business Unit. Alongside product management teams and in collaboration with other engineering teams, you’ll craft our products through the creation of new innovative features, whole new product lines, and in the way in which we provide support for our customers. Cisco Umbrella is cloud-first, carrying the traffic for thousands of customers and offers an unmatched opportunity to draw upon data from hundreds of thousands of devices to identify new threats and provide the best network experience. You will lead your team in using this advantage to drive industry-leading innovation in networking, API’s and security.
A key focus will be your ability to support and grow a distributed team of networking, software, and operations experts. On our team, people matter most so helping them align with their passions and the impact they can make is a priority. You will seek to align everyone to our most important objectives, offering a vision for the team and product that keeps them motivated and looking forward. You will have the opportunity to visit and influence at our customer sites around the globe
- Work with the CTO, product management, and other senior engineering leaders to set the technical vision and short/long-term plans for the network and platform that powers the Cisco Secure Internet Gateway
- Partner with our recruiters to create strategies for building a diverse and inclusive team
- Mentor and coach managers and senior engineers through engineering and business-related challenges, such as aligning execution to effective go to market strategies
- Develop career plans for your direct reports and help them do the same for theirs
- Encourage thoughtful and creative ways to recognize achievements on the team
- Lead performance, compensation, and promotion review processes
- Provide thoughtful counsel as a member of the senior engineering leadership team
- Assist with engineering-wide initiatives (off-sites, training, process evolution) several times per year
- Represent engineering at external events and speak to Cisco’s mission and vision
- Form close partnerships across Cisco to use the depth of technology and talent
- Serve as the highest escalation point for customer-facing issues on the team
- Be a role model for our organizational values
Who You’ll Work With
You work across our function to build and drive the engineering roadmap, this will involve interaction at all levels of our functional and technical leadership. In addition, you will be expected to represent our business at senior levels within the Security BU, influencing and driving activity to support customer outcomes.
Who You Are
- 10+ years of experience building and operating complex yet reliable cloud-based services
- You will have managed teams of more than 10 engineers in an array of engineering disciplines, you will have worked to develop a mix of very senior technical and leadership talent in the past
- You will have had deep experience building distributed teams, holding decisions on recruiting and driving organization design
- You possess the compassion and emotional intelligence to lead a diverse and distributed group of engineers and managers at varying stages of their careers
The Internet of Everything is a phenomenon driving new opportunities for Cisco and it's transforming our customers' businesses worldwide. We are pioneers and have been since the early days of connectivity. Today, we are building teams that are rapidly growing our technology solutions in the mobile, cloud, security, IT, and big data spaces, including software and consulting services. As Cisco delivers the network that powers the Internet, we are connecting the unconnected. Imagine building unprecedented disruption. Your revolutionary ideas will impact everything from retail, healthcare, and entertainment, to public and private sectors, and far beyond. Collaborate with like-minded innovators in a fun and flexible culture that has earned Cisco global recognition as a Great Place To Work. With roughly 10 billion connected things in the world now and over 50 billion estimated in the future, your career has exponential possibilities at Cisco.