Director of Engineering, Wireless
Location:San Francisco, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Network
Technology InterestWireless, Mobility
Our mission at Cisco Meraki is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making networking easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works.
As the head of our wireless software team, you will be responsible for a wireless product portfolio that connects hundreds of millions of people at schools, businesses, and government agencies around the world. Along with your colleagues in our hardware engineering and product management teams, you will craft our products: through new features, whole new product lines, and innovative updates and support for our customers.
Above all else, your success in these efforts will depend on your ability to support and grow your team: a mix of embedded developers, full stack web hackers, and wireless experts ranging from our Ph.D. research scientists to top-notch QA engineers. Meraki has always aimed to hire great collaborators, so this diverse set of individuals already works closely and effectively together. You will seek to align everyone to our most important objectives, offering a vision for the team and product that keeps them motivated and looking forward.
The person in this role:
- Works with the CTO, product management, and other senior engineering leaders to set the technical vision and short- and long-term plans for our wireless portfolio
- Leads recruiting strategy to build a diverse and inclusive team: driving decisions on who the team needs to hire, working with our recruiters to define requirements, and talking to candidates
- Mentors and coaches managers and senior engineers through technical and non-technical challenges
- Develops career plans for direct reports and helps them do the same for theirs
- Encourages thoughtful and creative ways to recognize achievement on the team
- Leads performance, compensation, and promotion review processes
- Provides thoughtful counsel as a member of senior engineering leadership
- Assists with engineering-wide initiatives (offsites, training, process evolution) several times per year
- Represents engineering at external events and speaks to Meraki’s mission and vision
- Serves as the highest escalation path for issues on the team
You are an ideal candidate if you:
- Have a strong background and extensive software engineering experience (10+ years) building networking and systems software
- Have managed cross-functional teams greater than 10 engineers and are passionate about growing as a manager and a leader
- Have experience building a team, holding decisions on recruiting and organization design
- Have excellent communication skills and can articulate a compelling vision
- Have the empathy and emotional intelligence to lead a diverse group of engineers and managers at varying stages of their careers
- Have a BS, MS, or Ph.D in Computer Science or Engineering, or a related field
We encourage you to drop us a line even if you don’t have all the points above. That’s a lot of different areas of responsibility! We will help you pick them up because we believe that great leaders come from a diverse set of backgrounds.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.