Director of Engineering, Programmable Video, Webex
Location:San Jose, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestAI or Artificial Intelligence, Cloud and Data Center, Collaboration, Video, Software Development, Testing
Cisco Webex is the World's #1 business collaboration and customer engagement platform. It is used across all industries in the world being used to support governments, business, education, and more including use by 85% of Fortune 500 business. Cisco is the clear market leader in cognitive collaboration for unified communication and contact centers with People Insights, Webex Assistant, Webex Experience Management and now Babblelabs noise cancelation. These technologies are being integrated into Webex calling, meetings, messaging, team collaboration and contact center.
Webex is built on a very modern SaaS platform with a strong culture of DevOps that operates worldwide with engineers in locations such as the US, EU, China, and India. The platform is used by 100s of millions of people around the world, and we’re looking to build a team that can expand its reach to other powerful use cases that developers can integrate into their applications and services.
Who You Are
We’re seeking a talented and experienced technical leader that has intentionally transitioned to people management and is looking for a new challenge. As the Director of Engineering, you’ll have the ability to build out your team from the ground up and lead groundbreaking R&D with our Programmable Video efforts.
What You’ll Do
- Contribute to the R&D roadmap for Programmable Video, including continuous evaluation of industry standards, techniques, tools and trends. Ensure Cisco develops and maintains an industry competitive advantage.
- Manage employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to junior engineers while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- Own, operate, and maintain your team’s services in a production environment. Make DevOps a primary concern to ensure services are reliable, scalable, manageable and supportable.
- Lead and grow a team of engineers in delivering the product. Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability.
- Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well-architected and supportable code
- Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt.
- Strong team leadership ability is required, with 5+ years' experience as a direct manager of teams in a technical role, and 2+ years managing managers.
- Experience with strategic planning and setting strategies for DevOps teams and advising product teams
- Hands on leader who is capable working opportunities directly alongside your team when called upon.
- A strong understanding of the new business sales cycle, as well as experience in the technology areas relevant to Cisco’s Collaboration market: Real-time communications, scaling web and mobile applications, and video technologies.
- An effective communicator. Confident in influencing and engaging with a highly skilled and experienced audience including C-level executives.
Who You’ll Work With
This newly formed team will report directly to the Webex CTO and work in the Intelligence organization at Cisco. The Intelligence team is comprised of three fast-moving startups that were recently acquired by Cisco to boost the industry's #1 Collaboration portfolio. We aim to build the next generation of collaboration software, devices, and APIs - from digitizing the in-meeting experience, enhancing distributed team efficiency and improving all aspects of people connection.
We have a team of world-class product managers, designers, and engineers who are exceptionally talented and all low ego. Many of our engineers have founded their own startups prior to forming Webex Intelligence, and they bring a wide and diverse set of industry experience and expertise with them. We draw on this well of experiences every day as we collaborate on our own product, tech stack, and go to market strategy. We have a strong “eat our own dogfood” culture. We live and breathe Webex everyday because we use the platform every day. We're highly collaborative, committed to building great things, and consider it a privilege to learn from each other every day.
We Are Cisco
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!