Director, Portfolio Development, Cisco Investments
Location:San Jose, California, US
Area of InterestBusiness Development
What You’ll Do
Cisco Investments is the most notable corporate VC in the industry because we act as a partner to the start-up companies we invest in -- helping them generate sales, improve brand awareness, and boost market share. The Director of Portfolio Development has a key stake in this, as the person responsible for fostering connections and growth for Cisco’s portfolio companies with Cisco’s internal sales teams and business units, as well as Cisco customers and partners.
Who You’ll Work With
Cisco has been an active investor in start-up companies, as a strategic part of our business for over 25 years. We invest in the best teams and technologies that improve how we work, live, play, and learn. We help companies accelerate the impact of their innovations via direct access to our customers, partners, and business leaders.
Cisco Investments has an active portfolio with over 120+ direct investments and 47 limited partner positions in funds around the world. Cisco Investments is amongst the most active in corporate venturing with top quartile performance returns. We invest over $250M+ per year across key domains such as Internet of Things (IoT), Big Data, Collaboration, and Security, as well as next-horizon opportunities such as Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Virtual Reality (VR).
A part of the industry-renowned Cisco Corporate Development team, Cisco Investments is a key pillar of Cisco’s innovation strategy, harnessing external innovation to round out and enhance Cisco’s own internal R&D.
Who You Are
With the goal of enabling Cisco Investments to be the best corporate venture, the Director of Portfolio Development drives and builds out a winning strategy and execution for all levels of engagement with our portfolio companies, including VCs, entrepreneurs, Cisco business leaders. This person will help drive the vision for Cisco Investments and plays a key role in building out a platform that delivers differentiated value to Cisco, portfolio companies, VC partners, and other internal sponsors.
- Develop and deliver sales enablement capabilities for portfolio companies, connecting portfolio companies to Cisco GTM resources/capabilities, customers, partners, and Cisco IT
- Develop connections with Cisco VC partners and help shape value out of those relationships
- Work with internal BUs to advance Cisco's investment platforms and bring back findings from the investments to the Cisco businesses
- Develop and deliver portfolio planning, review, and management capabilities
- Advance Cisco Investments' brand and positioning
- Build a differentiated investment development platform which will consistently attract the best Corp VC deals in the market
Our Minimum Qualifications for this Role are:
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in high-tech or venture/incubator/accelerator
- Experience managing a small team of direct reports
- Good understanding of our strategy and markets, ideally with depth in 1-2 areas
- Previous experience with sales enablement, ventures, and venture investing
- Entrepreneurial spirit, can do attitude, focus on results, and high self-motivation/direction
- Good business sense and judgment plus a strong foundation of business analytical and sales enablement skills
- Experience with customer and partner engagements, sales account management, messaging, external marketing, and Cisco GTM
Our Desired Skills are:
- MBA is highly preferred.
- Experience in Technology driven field desired.
- Experience partnering and working with executive leaders (VP+) is preferred.
We Are Cisco
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference. Here’s how we do it.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (30 years strong!) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. An AI/Machine Learning company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, we give our egos a break and we give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, we take bold steps, and we take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a commitment to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool.