Developer Advocate (Technical Evangelist)- Network Programmability
Location:San Jose, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center, Collaboration, Video, Networking
What You'll Do
We are looking for a senior developer advocate who will focus on network programmability and automation. The Network has APIs, and this is opening new approaches for how compute, cloud, the network, and applications work together. Cisco DevNet (developer.cisco.com) is building a community of developers and engineers who are defining how to extend DevOps to the network, and how to build applications using network data.
We code in python (mostly), and we work with technologies like container networking, edge compute, automation, and orchestration to find new ways to build and manage secure, efficient and scalable infrastructure. We are seeking a senior Developer Advocate who will be a technical thought leader in this space, and who will inspire, enable and build a developer community around Cisco Network Programmability platforms including Cisco DNA Center, Cisco Meraki, and Cisco ACI.
Who you'll work with
The team you will work with is Cisco DevNet, which provides developer relations for all of Cisco's developer offerings. DevNet covers information for APIs, DevOps, applications, automation, and infrastructure management. We combine technical skills with people skills to support both application developers and infrastructure developers in many ways. We provide community outreach, educational events, technical documentation, and tools such as sandbox environments to try out Cisco products. We have developer advocates across the globe, and we run our own platforms and keep the developer sandboxes ready for developers to practice their skills. You will also work closely with Cisco product teams in the Networking, Data Center, and Security groups to help build great developer experience for Cisco platforms.
Who you are
You are a network engineer with Cisco certifications who wants to explore how APIs, code, and automation can make the network more efficient and scalable You love to learn new technologies, to code and to tinker. You excel at explaining new concepts in simple terms that communicate both technical and business value propositions. You want to help shape the future of network programmability and automation. You are active in the network engineer digital community and in your local tech community. You think hard about hard problems and understand the challenges that network automation engineers are trying to solve.
What you'll do
In this position, you will
- Actively engage internally and externally to help define the future of network programmability and automation
- Learn and experiment with new technologies
- Build a community of developers and engineers who use Cisco network programmability platforms.
- Be the "voice of the developer" within Cisco. Provide feedback from the developer community to Cisco platform teams to help build great developer experience.
- Engage with related open source communities
- Present technical talks at conferences, meetups, customer workshops and virtual events
- Work with technologies including python, ansible, puppet, chef, RESTCONF/NETCONF, REST APIs, Kubernetes, Github, CI/CD tools
- Create sample code, use cases, and presentations to drive Cisco API and platform adoption for Cisco Network Programmability platforms including Cisco DNA Center, Meraki, and ACI.
- Communicate a compelling and convincing case for Cisco technologies vs. the competition
- Provide contributions to outbound marketing and communications (blogging, twitter, 3rd party event presentations)
- Travel to support local events around the world
- Candidates must have experience in working across organizational boundaries to achieve success.
- Demonstrated success with cultivating developer communities
- Candidates must have software development experience and be familiar with the use of APIs and SDKs.
- Experience coding in Python.
- Experience using tools such as Chef, Puppet, and Ansible.
- Candidates should have expertise in networking technologies (Cisco Certified Required).
- The position also requires a strong understanding of competitive technology
- Strong understanding of fundamental changes to the software and technology business driven by DevOps and the move to cloud computing and APIs, and microservices is critical.
- Network design and engineering experience (Cisco Certification Required)
- A deep understanding of how to consume and design RESTful APIs.
- The ability, drive, focus and independence to work in a remote setting without direct oversight
- Experience writing clear, and concise developer documentation and tutorials
- Experience using developer tools and APIs to build integrations or extend products.
- An interest in learning new technologies and languages
- Excellent time management skills for handling multiple projects and goals
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco, each person brings their unique talents to work as a team and make a difference.
Yes, our technology changes the way the world works, lives, plays and learns, but our edge comes from our people.
- We connect everything – people, process, data and things – and we use those connections to change our world for the better.
- We innovate everywhere - From launching a new era of networking that adapts, learns and protects, to building Cisco Services that accelerate businesses and business results. Our technology powers entertainment, retail, healthcare, education and more – from Smart Cities to your everyday devices.
- We benefit everyone - We do all of this while striving for a culture that empowers every person to be the difference, at work and in our communities.
Colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Be you, with us! #WeAreCisco