Developer Advocate (Technical Evangelist) - IoT and Network Programmability
Additional Location(s)Cologne, Frankfurt
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestInternet of Everything
# What You'll Do
We are looking for a developer advocate who will focus on network programmability and IoT. IoT is growing rapidly around the globe, and this is opening new approaches for how devices, compute, cloud, the network, and applications work together. Cisco DevNet (developer.cisco.com) is building a community of developers and engineers who are defining how to extend DevOps to the network, and how to build applications using network data.
We code in python (mostly), and we work with technologies like container networking, edge compute, automation, and orchestration to find new ways to build and manage secure, efficient and scalable infrastructure. We are seeking a Developer Advocate who will be a technical thought leader in this space, and who will inspire, enable and build a developer community around Cisco IoT platforms including Cisco Kinetic, Iox, Industrial and Embedded devices, and Field Network Director.
# Who you'll work with
The team you will work with is Cisco DevNet, which provides developer relations for all of Cisco's developer offerings. DevNet covers information for APIs, DevOps, applications, automation, and infrastructure management. We combine technical skills with people skills to support both application developers and infrastructure developers in many ways. We provide community outreach, educational events, technical documentation, and tools such as sandbox environments to try out Cisco products. We have developer advocates across the globe, and we run our own platforms and keep the developer sandboxes ready for developers to practice their skills. You will also work closely with Cisco product teams in the IoT, Data Center, and Cloud groups to help build a great developer experience for Cisco platforms.
# Who you are
You are an engineer with a passion for technology who wants to explore how APIs, code, and automation can make infrastructure more efficient and scalable. You love to learn new technologies, to code, to tinker, and are a life long learner of technologies. You excel at explaining new concepts in simple terms that communicate both technical and business value propositions. You want to help shape the future of IoT and automation. You are active in the IoT digital community and in your local tech community. You think hard about hard problems and understand the challenges that IoT developers are trying to solve.
What you'll do
In this position, you will
- Actively engage internally and externally to help define the future of network programmability and automation
- Learn and experiment with new technologies
- Build a community of developers and engineers who use Cisco IoT platforms.
- Be the "voice of the developer" within Cisco. Provide feedback from the developer community to Cisco platform teams to help build great developer experience.
- Engage with related open source communities
- Present technical talks at conferences, meetups, customer workshops and virtual events
- Create sample code, use cases, and presentations to drive Cisco API and platform adoption for Cisco IoT platforms.
- Communicate a compelling and convincing case for Cisco technologies vs. the competition
- Provide contributions to outbound marketing and communications (blogging, twitter, 3rd party event presentations)
- Travel to support local events around the world
- Candidates must have experience in working across organizational boundaries to achieve success.
- Demonstrated success with cultivating developer communities
- Candidates must have software development experience and be familiar with the use of APIs and SDKs.
- Experience coding in Python.
- Candidates should have expertise in IoT technologies.
- The position also requires a strong understanding of competitive technology
- Strong understanding of fundamental changes to the software and technology business driven by DevOps and the move to cloud computing and APIs, and microservices is critical.
- A deep understanding of how to consume and design RESTful APIs.
- The ability, drive, focus and independence to work in a remote setting without direct oversight
- Experience writing clear, and concise developer documentation and tutorials
- Experience using developer tools and APIs to build integrations or extend products.
- An interest in learning new technologies and languages
- Excellent time management skills for handling multiple projects and goals
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Prior experience with Cisco technologies is a plus
At Cisco, each person brings their unique talents to work as a team and make a difference.
Yes, our technology changes the way the world works, lives, plays and learns, but our edge comes from our people.
• We connect everything – people, process, data and things – and we use those connections to change our world for the better.
• We innovate everywhere - From launching a new era of networking that adapts, learns and protects, to building Cisco Services that accelerate businesses and business results. Our technology powers entertainment, retail, healthcare, education and more – from Smart Cities to your everyday devices.
• We benefit everyone - We do all of this while striving for a culture that empowers every person to be the difference, at work and in our communities.
Colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Be you, with us! #WeAreCisco