Communications Leader, Corporate Development & Investments
Location:San Jose, California, US
Area of InterestMarketing and Communications
About the Team
The Cisco Corporate Development team is responsible for driving Cisco's long-term growth strategy through venture capital investments and acquisitions. We aggressively source new opportunities, develop strategic perspectives on innovative market segments, execute on M&A transactions and actively manage VC investments.
What You'll Do
You will lead a team to develop and deliver the Corporate Development story in ways that resonate with our key audiences, including startups, founders, entrepreneurs, and VCs.
You will be a voice for the team and will hone messaging for M&A and Investments, develop and execute a holistic communications and marketing strategy to deliver our messages through multiple channels, including press, social media and events.
You will craft original, compelling content for the SVP of Corporate Development, including presentations, executive summaries, keynote scripts at internal and external events, and oversee other creative content for the Corporate Development team such as blogs and press releases.
You will work closely with sales, business, technology and thought leaders across the organization to drive an overarching communication strategy and reach a diverse set of audiences.
Who You’ll Work With
You will work across a spectrum of internal and external stakeholders, including Cisco Executives, Corporate Development and BU leadership, stakeholders within Sales, Marketing, Channels, Customer success, as well as companies we acquire or invest in.
You will work with a variety of different functional areas, including Corporate Communications, PR, Finance, Operations and more, to ensure alignment to deliver our messages in a timely and impactful way.
- Manage direct reports (Communications, Marketing, and Events), providing guidance, support, feedback, and development
- Oversee development and execution of a comprehensive content development, marketing and communications strategy, in addition to an editorial calendar
- Develop and deliver on messaging strategies to maintain a compelling and consistent market voice that appeals to our target audiences, ensuring brand mission and brand platform comes to life across all brand touchpoints
- Own executive-level communications platform
- Work closely with Corporate Development, Cisco Business Units, Cisco Executive leadership, Cisco PR and more, to develop and deliver messaging around company announcements, milestones and business updates related to acquisitions and investments.
- Manage perception of Corporate Development with key audiences and foster brand narrative through communications strategies
Who You Are
You have a unique mix of creative and managerial capabilities. You have a strong understanding of how storytelling can drive a business forward during times of uncertainty. You act as a strategic partner and communication advisor to senior leaders. You can take complex issues and craft stories that drive engagement and interest in Corporate Development initiatives.
You are a self-starter with strong project management, critical thinking and influencing skills. You have the ability to connect the dots across issues and initiatives to deliver the right result for Cisco.
Our Minimum Skills for this Role are:
- 10+ years’ experience as a communications and marketing professional in a high-tech company or Private Equity/Venture Capital (PE/VC) firm
- BS degree and preferably MS degree in Communications or related discipline
- EXCELLENT writing skills with the ability to learn/understand executive voice
- Innate ability to tell compelling stories through modern content
- Experienced in developing multi-channel marketing strategies, driving external communications (newsletters, web and social) and utilizing marketing tools to build market awareness
- Proven ability to align with multiple stakeholders and build positive relationships
- Strong leadership and project management skills, excellence in execution with strong attention to details, and the ability to operate successfully in an unstructured, collaborative environment
We Are Cisco
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference. Here’s how we do it.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (30 years strong!) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. A blockchain company. An AI/Machine Learning company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, we give our egos a break and we give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, we take bold steps, and we take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a commitment to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool.