Cloud Infrastructure Software Developer
Location:Offsite, London, United Kingdom
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center, Networking, Security, Software Development, Testing
What You’ll Do:
Cisco's Cloud Infrastructure Engineering group is driving the technology that is redefining the way IT departments secure their networks, and more importantly, their users and data.
As an experienced Software Engineer you will be a key member of the Network Applications Team. We design, develop and operate the Network Automation and Orchestration platform that provides "Infrastructure-as-a-Service" to our global Engineering teams. Our software’s next generation will carry Cisco's new Security and Network SASE offerings to our customers. We do this by providing "self-service" APIs to the infrastructure and blurring the lines between physical data centres and cloud providers such as AWS.
Our mission is to enable the efficient delivery of both core Internet infrastructure and customer-facing security services at scale.
Who You'll Work With:
This is a small team that does big things!
We are a fully remote team that takes pride in encouraging a highly collaborative and supportive environment that promotes learning, development, experimentation and innovation. This collaboration allows us to bring together the team's broad experience from Software, Systems and Network Engineering to provide multiple perspectives on any challenge that comes our way.
The team invests heavily in continual improvement in automation and optimisation, and promotes a design and test led philosophy. Everything needs to scale horizontally and autonomously with stability, resiliency at high performance whilst retaining the flexibility to adapt.
Who You Are:
As a member of this team, you will take our network automation to the next level. This includes working with other Cisco engineering teams to assess their needs and build the tools to allow them to work with the network programmatically.
Some of the things you will work on:
- Design, build and support APIs that operate our infrastructure, primarily built with Python and the Django Rest Framework.
- Collaborate with software and infrastructure teams to craft solutions.
- Learn the ins and outs of building and supporting a cloud platform running 24x7 production services.
- Optimising the performance of a variety of systems alongside your team members.
- Improving continuous integration and deployment pipelines.
- Work on a globally distributed network that operates at scale.
- Strengthening engineering process, principles, and culture within your team and across the organisation.
What You Will Bring:
- Experience of large-scale software application development, ideally in Python and Django.
- Cloud Networking in AWS (or similar cloud platforms).
- Strong skills in Software Architecture and Abstraction.
The team could be a great fit for you if several of these apply:
- Experience of migrating software to a cloud architecture would be valuable, and a keen interest in keeping up to date with this fast-paced technology.
- We use Python and Django extensively, but experience in Java, Go and other application development frameworks will also prove useful.
- We are passionate about TDD, BDD and DDD, and we take CI seriously.
- Exposure to “DevOps” frameworks, e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform.
- Familiarity with open-source software and libraries.
The team is entirely remote so you must be comfortable working and getting to know people in a video call and by IM. The immediate team is based across Europe, but we have close connections with teams across the world especially in North America.
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!