Cloud FinOps Cost Optimization Lead – Data Analysis Manager
Location:Offsite, Seattle, Washington, US
Alternate LocationSan Jose, CA; RTP, NC
Area of InterestInformation Technology
Compensation Range109900 USD - 150200 USD
Technology InterestNetworking, Security, Service Provider, Software Development, Testing
Cloud FinOps Cost Optimization Lead – Data Analysis Manager
You will join the CloudOps team as part of the Cloud Governance and Operations organization. We have a vision and strategy of enabling outstanding, cloud native, always-on operational experiences, processes and capabilities in support of Cisco’s Digital Transformation priorities.
The CloudOps team is responsible for accelerating Cisco's transformation toward a Cloud enabled SaaS product portfolio. This team supports ever-evolving operating requirements which underpin infrastructure enablement, policy administration, solution architecture, marketplace management and FinOps best practices across cloud and hybrid environments.
Cisco's heterogeneous landscape is comprised of both internally incubated and acquired product teams. Depending on a variety of factors such as cloud maturity, complexity of solutions, etc., Cisco product teams require different levels of support and assistance across the product lifecycle from discovery through launch, iteration and optimization. The CloudX Team enables product teams to consume these environments efficiently, by developing and deploying frameworks, strategies, architectures and platforms to run and deliver products in the cloud at scale, securely and in compliance with Cisco policy and customer standards.
Data Analysis Manager, Cloud FinOps is a unique and strategic role; one of equal parts Financial Analyst, Data Scientist, Cloud Service Engineer and Consultant. Your charter is to guide individual businesses and Cisco at large to highly efficient and optimized cloud consumption.
- Operationalize FinOps frameworks, establish business processes in support of globally distributed teams, promote a culture of cost awareness and accountability
- Partner with Business Unit Finance, Operations and Engineering teams to implement cost optimization initiatives involving usage efficiencies, pricing efficiencies, deep dives into services such as compute, network, and storage usage
- Build and deliver effective data driven presentations for various business stakeholders on public cloud cost usage and spend insights.
- Continuously monitor public cloud provider discount commitments (like Reserved Instances, Savings Plans, committed use discounts) using governance, processes, and tooling to ensure key coverage and utilization metrics are trending in the right direction.
- Measure, report and maintain key performance indicators for tracking real time costs, consumption, and metrics for measuring unit economics, product level visibility
- Work with Cloud Service Providers (AWS, GCP, Azure) teams to implement best practices in automations, new vendor related cost optimization programs and other initiatives
- Support Business Unit, Procurement, and other teams with subject matter expertise on forecasting and cloud costing models.
- Organize data in public cloud cost management tools such as CloudHealth and administer using best practices
Who You'll Work With
You will engage with practically every function across Cisco and a wide range of external partners and suppliers, all globally distributed. You will cultivate and maintain relationships within Product Engineering, SaaS Ops, Finance, Business Operations, Sourcing and Acquisitions. You will work directly with Cloud Service Providers and a range of external partners; assessing, influencing, and accelerating Cisco's leadership in Hybrid and Public Cloud.
You will collaborate day to day across wide ranging teams and with the CloudX Technical Team - comprised of Cloud Service Engineers (infrastructure specialists who are well-versed on hosting strategy, cloud platform administration and deployment architecture) and Cloud Developers (who focus on data, platforms and tools in support of operations and product lifecycle). The goal is to come together and deliver the best of breed FinOps experience at scale.
Who You Are
You are collaborative but know when to stand your ground. You are always learning (keeping up with what is new) but you are very experienced in public cloud and hybrid environments. You can roll up your sleeves (and know when to jump in) but also think strategically. You are a good listener and know when to step in to share your knowledge and recommendations succinctly and effectively.
Critical skills and experiences
- Strong and practical knowledge in public cloud environments (AWS, Azure or GCP at scale) with an excellent understanding of cost optimization using Cloud Financial Management or FinOps frameworks
- Strong Data handling skills to analyze complex datasets and practical experience using Tableau or similar BI tools to build reporting dashboards
- Experience in reporting key performance indicators for tracking real time costs, consumption, and metrics for measuring unit economics
- Practical experience in using cloud service provider APIs to implement code-based automations for the public cloud
- Experience with public cloud infrastructure (compute, network, storage), capacity planning and forecasting, cloud services and ability to partner across the organization to drive cost optimization discussions
- Competent in programming/query languages (Python, SQL etc.), data engineering concepts and basic understanding of DevOps related automation tools
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, Mathematics, or other relevant Engineering disciplines.
- 3-7 years of Public Cloud experience (AWS or GCP preferred) and knowledge of Cloud Service provider (AWS Preferred) services, architectures, and tools
- Experience with cloud cost optimization tools from Cloud Service Providers or vendors such as CloudHealth, Cloudability etc.
- Practical experience with Tableau or similar BI tool
- Hands on experience in Cloud Cost Management, knowledge of Public Cloud offerings, consumption models, billing, cost management tools and processes (AWS or GCP preferred)
- Willingness and commitment to learn and acquire skills necessary to do the job
- Master's in computer science, Business Administration, Mathematics, or other relevant Engineering disciplines
- Basic knowledge of Financial Accounting concepts such as COGS, OPEX, Amortization
- FinOps certifications, AWS/GCP/Azure certifications
- Data-driven approach, strong belief that the best decisions are made when they are backed by data.
- Ability to influence and drive consensus among stakeholders through excellent communication
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (39 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire, full-time salaries in U.S. locations, not including equity or benefits. For non-sales roles the hiring ranges reflect base salary only; employees are also eligible to receive annual bonuses. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive compensation target. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications, or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.
U.S. employees have access to quality medical, dental and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan with a Cisco matching contribution, short and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance and numerous wellbeing offerings. Employees receive up to twelve paid holidays per calendar year, which includes one floating holiday, plus a day off for their birthday. Employees accrue up to 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) each year and have access to paid time away to deal with critical or emergency issues without tapping into their PTO. We offer additional paid time to volunteer and give back to the community. Employees are also able to purchase company stock through our Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Employees on sales plans earn performance-based incentive pay on top of their base salary, which is split between quota and non-quota components. For quota-based incentive pay, Cisco pays at the standard rate of 1% of incentive target for each 1% revenue attainment against the quota up to 100%. Once performance exceeds 100% quota attainment, incentive rates may increase up to five times the standard rate with no cap on incentive compensation. For non-quota-based sales performance elements such as strategic sales objectives, Cisco may pay up to 125% of target. Cisco sales plans do not have a minimum threshold of performance for sales incentive compensation to be paid.