Build and Release Engineer
Location:Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestSecurity, Software Development, Testing
Do you like engaging with different teams to deliver software faster, easier, and more reliably? Do you have the creative ideas, programming skills, and unique talents to improve the AMP team software delivery experience?
Who You’ll Work With
Billions of times a day, computers around the world communicate with the Cisco Advanced Malware Protection Cloud and rely on the AMP product to protect them against advanced and sophisticated forms of malware.
Our people are some of the top contributors in the industry that love to learn, share knowledge, and work together to achieve something bigger than themselves. Our group cares about what they do, and we work on making the world a better, safer place for our customers.
What You’ll Do
Our team is looking for a Software Engineer to grow the Build & Release processes and infrastructure for our entire organization. This is an opportunity to be a part of a new initiative to unify the release processes for the AMP organization and increase ease of use, visibility, and audit-ability. You'll be helping your colleagues build, package, and deliver the code that our customers rely on. You will be providing end-to-end audit ability of our builds and deployments to a number of environments, with a high emphasis on traceability.
On a day to day basis your work will involve:
- Mentoring junior staff members
- Discussion, collaboration, and interaction with various teams to improve their build process and standardize tooling
- Active participation in design and code reviews
- Developing and maintaining internal tools for builds, packing, and deployment
- Supporting other teams by debugging and bug fixing pipeline related issues
- Using your creativity to bring new ideas to life for the teams we support
Who You Are
You are someone that is comfortable working with others to achieve our collective goals. You care about others, and can put yourself into other people's shoes and deliver easy tooling so that development teams don't have to think (too much) about how to ship quality software. You are a self-motivated, results-driven person that thrives when building relationships with other teams and shipping quality software.
Our Minimum Qualifications for the Role
- High ethical standards
- Passion for delivering high-quality software
- Unquenchable desire to learn
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics or a similar discipline (relevant experience also acceptable)
- Experience with a scripting language: Ruby, Python, Perl
- Experience with Linux command-line and system administration tools and technologies
- Enjoys working with build systems, release engineering, and automation
- 8+ years of experience in software development
Nice to Have
- Formal team leadership experience
- Real world experience in Continuous Integration / Delivery tooling like: Go.CD, Jenkins, Travis CI, Circle CI, etc.
- Working knowledge of common compile, build, and packaging tools, i.e., gcc, make, rake, rpmbuild
- Working experience with configuration management systems: Chef, CFengine, Puppet, Ansible, SaltStack
- Experience with LXC technologies such as Docker and k8s.
- Contributions to open source projects
The Internet of Everything is a phenomenon driving new opportunities for Cisco and it is transforming our customers' businesses worldwide. Today, we are building teams that are expanding our technology solutions in the mobile, cloud, security, IT, and big data spaces, including software and consulting services. As Cisco delivers the network that powers the Internet, we are connecting the unconnected. Imagine creating unprecedented disruption. Your revolutionary ideas will influence everything from retail, healthcare, and entertainment, to public and private sectors, and far beyond. Collaborate with like-minded innovators in a fun and flexible culture that has earned Cisco global recognition as a Great Place To Work. With roughly 10 billion connected things in the world now and over 50 billion estimated in the future, your career has exponential possibilities at Cisco.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company (Cisco was the title sponsor at Chic Geek's Geeky Summit in 2017/2018.) We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.