Build Makefile/Dependency/Acceleration Engineer
Location:Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
What You'll Do
Be part of a software development team which is building a Next Generation Software Build System for 10,000 of our fellow Cisco Engineers. Help us build next generation build systems and acceleration processes that will hugely impact the $30B Cisco routers/switches and data center products. Building a software build system for massive scale codebase with 200 million+ lines of code with internal and third-party codes is what you should enjoy and thrive on with. Help us design this system to deliver a highly-reliable and scalable architecture for our fellow Cisco engineers who depend on it 24/7/365 globally. Demonstrate your knowledge of opensource and 3rdparty software applications to ensure that the new platform utilizes industry-leading technology. Be part of the team which is transforming the development environment at Cisco!
Who You Are
Someone who thrives with solving complex software development problems spanning engineering organizations from around the world. You want to be part of the team building a Next Generation Developer Experience at Cisco. You carry a passion for open-source and don’t shy away from extending it further.
- Build, Makefile/Make/Gmake
- Python OR Perl
- Shell Scripting
- GCC command line options for C/C++
- Linker/Loader options
Nice to have:
- Build Acceleration, Build Correctness, Build Avoidance, ccache, build profiling, emake, (Bazel, ninja or similar modern build technology), packaging, ability to debug compilation and linking failures
- Excellent understanding of build dependencies, make, Makefiles, gcc, clang, object files, shared object files.
- Familiarity with modern build system like Bazel, Ninja
- Experience with cross-compiling between different architectures.
- Extensive experience in programming with Python, Perl and shell programming
- Experience with embedded environment.( C/C++/Java )
- Good troubleshooting/analysis, problem solving, and debugging skills
- Experience with performance measurements and tracking
- Good skills under Linux both as a user and as an admin.
- RPM/ISO Packaging - Understanding different packaging internals.
- Bachelor degree (Master’s degree preferred) in Computer Science or related fields
- High standard of English interpersonal skills, both orally and written
- At least 5 years of software development experience.
We Are Cisco
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference. Here’s how we do it.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (30 years strong!) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. An AI/Machine Learning company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, we give our egos a break and we give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, we take bold steps, and we take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a commitment to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool.