Board Mounted Power Engineer
Area of InterestEngineer - Hardware
We’re looking for an experienced Hardware Engineer to develop highly reliable Board-Mounted Power (BMP) Systems for networking products. These products range from 10W IP-phones to 2kW linecards for high-end Data-Center switches.
This individual will be a key contributor to the design and development team and will be responsible for all aspects of the BMP System
- Designing, developing, and qualifying complex BMP Systems to meet the power requirements of new products, including creating power budgets, BMP System architecture, designing or specifying power solutions for all required voltages, designing low-frequency decoupling, and implementing the power management system
- Designing and developing BMP power solutions with high efficiency and power-density that are reliable, flexible and cost-effective
- Generating BMP System specifications by working with cross-functional teams
- Generating power module specifications and working with vendors to develop these custom power modules
- Identifying future BMP requirements by interacting with platform design teams and ASIC teams, and determining power solutions to meet these “next-generation” power requirements
- Defining, directing, and participating in power design verification tests
- Ensuring that all hardware engineering projects, initiatives, and processes are in conformance with organization's established policies and objectives
- Leading the resolution of power related field / product issues for assigned projects
- Interfacing cross-functionally and leading team collaboration globally, extending beyond the work group
The candidate should possess the following skills and experience:
- Minimum of 3~5 years’ experience working as a power design engineer on complex power systems
- Expertise in power conversion topologies and tradeoffs, analog circuit design, and circuit simulation
- Expertise in power system loop stability analysis and optimization
- Experience with Power Integrity analysis and tools
- Expertise in initial prototype bring-up and troubleshooting of complex power systems
- Experience with digital power management and related programming
- Experience with resolving EMI, EMC, regulatory compliance issues
- Experience with schematic capture tools such as Cadence Concept and board layout review tools such as Cadence Allegro Physical viewer
- Proficiency with power testing equipment including loop stability analyzers, oscilloscopes, function generators, electronic loads, etc.
- Experience in managing vendors in the development of custom power modules
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, successfully handling multiple projects and initiatives simultaneously
- Ability to think and act pro-actively and drive issues to resolution
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams
- Ability to make project-level decisions independently
- Ability to quickly document the results of your work in a clear, concise, and complete manner
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
- This position requires a BSEE. MSEE preferred.
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.