Architect, Next-Gen Learning Platform
Location:San Jose, California, US
Alternate LocationAustin, Texas, Phoenix, Arizona
Area of InterestHuman Resources
Who you’ll work with
Cisco Corporate Affairs is focused on Corporate Social Responsibility. It’s core to Cisco’s purpose, culture and how Cisco invests its resources for social impact. Corporate Affairs focuses on issues most relevant to our business and where we believe we can have the greatest impact. Namely, (1) people: enabling people to reach their full potential in a digital economy (2) society; scaling inclusive social and economic impact in countries around the world and (3) planet; advancing environmentally sustainable growth in a digital world.
We focus on helping people develop the digital skills to participate, innovate, and thrive in the digital economy. We’re investing in breakthrough, early-stage, technology-based solutions that address social and environmental challenges and have the potential to scale, replicate, and be sustainable. We work with governments, educational institutions, customers, NGO’s and other partners to support and drive inclusive growth.
We created Cisco Networking Academy, a free SaaS platform that offers technology and 21st century skills to improve career and economic opportunities for people around the world, and proved that technology, when combined with education, changes lives. Two decades and more then 7.6 million students later, the Networking Academy program has expanded to 180 countries. Working with educational institutions across the globe, we prepare students for entry-level jobs and industry-recognized certifications. The Networking Academy is built to be adaptable for students with diverse abilities.
We take a venture-capital-like approach to making strategic social investments. Cisco Public Benefit Investment and the Cisco Foundation support non-profit organizations that leverage technology to support underserved communities around the world to meet critical human needs and disaster relief, build a digital foundation to improve education, and drive economic empowerment and an inclusive digital economy.
We believe impact multiplies and innovative solutions arise when passionate people and transformative technology come together. By empowering a network of talented, innovative, entrepreneurial problem solvers to capitalize on digitization, we can unlock the potential for all people to be included, and for society and the planet to thrive for generations to come.
What you’ll do
Role & responsibilities
We are seeking a seasoned technical leader/architect with Computer Science background and 15+ years of experience in building platforms and cloud-scale solutions in the education domain.
The role requires a hands-on architect with extensive knowledge of education technologies, standards and systems to architect and build our next-generation platform, Cisco Social Good Platform, to meet the evolution and expansion needs of Cisco’s Networking Academy, as well as to help non-profit organizations digitize and scale their education, training and development services.
Initial focus will be to develop foundational capabilities of the Cisco Social Good Platform to offer mobile-first, adaptive/gamified learning with learner progression support, leveraging a variety of standards, approaches, and blueprints such as Advanced Distributed Learning initiative’s Total Learning Architecture.
This role requires an expert agile software development practitioner with full-stack development experience; deep understanding and experience in architecting scalable, highly available, and data-driven applications leveraging latest tools and technologies; experience in taking ideas to successful launch; leading and mentoring diverse, geo distributed teams through research, prototyping, pilot, production, scaling, and maintenance phases with multiple stakeholders to the highest levels of quality and performance.
Who you are
- 10+ years of full-stack software development experience with prolific coding abilities
- 5+ years of experience in software architecture for dynamic software development organizations
- Experience in architecting and developing a highly scalable learning platform with adaptive learning capabilities based on IMS Global, Advanced Distributed Learning (ADL), and other edtech standards
- Deep understanding of Sharable Content Object Reference Model (SCORM), Experience Application Programming Interface (xAPI), Competency Frameworks, Competency Management, Credential Management, Learning Management Systems, Learner Record Store, Learner Profile, Assessment engine, and related systems and frameworks
- Expert knowledge and hands-on implementation experience of IMS Global standards, especially LTI, LOR, LRS, LTI Resource Search, CASE, Common Cartridge, QTI, etc
- Track record of leading large-scale platforms and SaaS solutions from concept to launch
- Deep understanding of modern front-end, backend, data engineering, and machine learning technologies
- In-depth understanding of OOP, design patterns, data structures, algorithms, and concurrency
- Expert in SQL, NoSQL datastores such as Postgres, MongoDB, HBase, Elasticsearch, Redis
- Proven track record in building products on big data systems such as Spark, Kafka, Flume, HDFS, Hadoop, MapReduce, Airflow, and machine learning frameworks/toolkits
- Experience with Agile Development Methodologies and Test-Driven Development
- Experience building SaaS solutions on AWS using EC2, ECS, S3, RDS, Redshift, DynamoDB, Netptune, Kinesis, Glue, Lambda, SageMaker preferred
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, and able to concisely explain complex topics
The Internet of Everything is a phenomenon driving new opportunities for Cisco and it's transforming our customers' businesses worldwide. We are pioneers and have been since the early days of connectivity. Today, we are building teams that are rapidly growing our technology solutions in the mobile, cloud, security, IT, and big data spaces, including software and consulting services. As Cisco delivers the network that powers the Internet, we are connecting the unconnected. Imagine crafting unprecedented disruption. Your groundbreaking ideas will impact everything from retail, healthcare, and entertainment, to public and private sectors, and far beyond. Collaborate with like-minded innovators in a fun and flexible culture that has earned Cisco global recognition as a Great Place To Work. With roughly 10 billion connected things in the world now and over 50 billion estimated in the future, your career has exponential possibilities at Cisco.
At Cisco, each person brings their rare talents to work as a team and make a difference.
Yes, our technology changes the way the world works, lives, plays and learns, but our edge comes from our people.
- We connect everything – people, process, data and things taking ambitious risks to craft the technologies that give us smart cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. And we do it in style with rare personalities who aren't afraid to change.
- We innovate everywhere - From launching a new era of networking that adapts, learns and protects, to building Cisco Services that accelerate businesses and business results. Our technology powers entertainment, retail, healthcare, education and more – from Cities to your everyday devices.
- We benefit everyone - We do all of this while striving for a culture that empowers every person to be the difference, at work and in our communities.
- Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, applicants with arrest and conviction records.
- We are leaders with vision, tech geeks, pop culture aficionados, and we even have a few purple haired rock stars. We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers.
Colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Be you, with us!