Applications Engineer (Active Directory), Apps Team - Duo Security
Location:Ann Arbor, Michigan, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center
Duo Security, now a part of Cisco, is the leading provider of Trusted Access security and multi-factor authentication delivered through the cloud.
Duo’s mission is to make security simple for everyone. We were born from a hacker ethos and a desire to make the Internet a secure place. We believe in empowering people to follow their passions inside and outside of the office and enable every employee to bring their whole self to work.
Our team is our secret weapon. We lead the spectrum from artists to analysts, low-key to high energy, and bring together a diversity of skill sets, experiences, and perspectives to tackle what we consider to be the world's most pressing geopolitical challenge — transforming the security industry as we know it. Together we build solutions that are easy, effective, trustworthy, and enduring. And that’s why we are the most loved and trusted company in security.
What You'll Do
As an Application Engineer on the Apps Team, you’ll collaborate with team of with a shared goal to democratize security. We strive to make security easy to understand and easy to use with our on-premises integrations.
You will be an expertise on administering directory services such as Active Directory or OpenLDAP on Windows and Unix based systems. You will also work with VPNs, identity providers and virtualization software. You will have a proven understanding of common protocols such as LDAP and RADIUS. You will grow the breadth and depth of your knowledge to support automating environments to build, test, and fix our products for software engineers.
Who You Will Work With
You will focus on setting up on-premises and cloud services in order to verify our software works across a wide variety of customer applications and software versions in complex Windows and Unix environments. As the go-to person for working with internal and external customers, you will replicate enterprise environments to reproduce issues our customers are seeing. Then you’ll help identify root configuration causes or enable software engineers to have an environment which reproduces issues in which to identify potential code fixes. If this role sounds exciting to you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet 100% of the description or skills listed below.
Who You Are
- You’ll be the support face of our development team.
- You’ll use your application layer skills to provide domain expertise to our team.
- You’ll ensure that issues are received, recorded, and solved or raised in a rapid, efficient manner.
- You’ll implement effective persistent fixes to reduce overall intake of support requests.
- You’ll identify support trends and work to resolve those trends by providing automation, training or documentation when necessary.
- Act as a primary support contact to answer technical inquiries then verify, fix, and resolve technical problems.
- Contribute to customer-facing and internal documentation used for self-support.
- Build and support environments for testing applications across a range of products and software versions.
- Improve our application stability and scalability.
Skills you have…
- 2+ years experience in a customer-facing support role.
- 2+ years professional systems administration experience in an enterprise using Microsoft Technologies (Active Directory, Windows, etc.).
- Professional administration experience with VPNs or firewalls.
- Professional experience with virtualization platforms (AWS, VMWare etc.).
- Fundamental and methodical problem solver.
- Strong network troubleshooting background (PCAP analysis etc.).
- Understanding of Web Technology principles (DNS, HTTP(s), etc.).
- Cross-platform OS knowledge (Windows, Unix).
- Follows through, taking the initiative to own issues until resolution.
- Unquenchable thirst for constant learning.
- Documents and shares knowledge to improve team performance and customer self-service.
- Welcomes and adapts to change in a customer focused workplace.
Reasons why you should apply…
- You thrive having the autonomy to operate in a meaningful problem space solving real problems for real people.
- You work best within a conscientious team passionate about a common goal.
- You are happy when your end-users are happy and frustrated when they are frustrated.
- You are passionate about service and creating long-term customer relationships.
- You have impeccable communication - both verbal and written.
- You love solving difficult problems.
- You are energetic, concise, patient, and customer-centric
This job may not be for you if…
- You lack a real passion for automation with high-quality secure code and scripts backed by an equally mature approach to testing.
- You stress under the ambiguity of a problem and default to others to provide you with the answers.
- Your first instinct is to point out why something can’t be done rather than focusing on what the customer problem is and possible solutions.
- You tire at the thought of a steady, deliberate pace in both a product and company.
- If you prefer to work on your own (we are a team that pushes each other and learns together).
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!