AppDynamics Java Agent Software Engineer
Location:Feltham, United Kingdom
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestSoftware Development, Testing
Please note this posting is to advertise potential job opportunities. This exact role may not be open today, but could open in the near future. When you apply, a Cisco representative may contact you directly if a relevant position opens.
What You'll Do
At AppDynamics, our Application Intelligence Platform empowers today’s software-defined businesses with the function of proactively monitor, lead, and optimize the most complex software environments.
Software Engineers in Java Software Engineering Team are taking care of debugging complex multi-tiered applications in various Java / J2EE frameworks that can be used to test the product. They are also responsible for working with our customers to provide advanced technical assistance and seek complex problems in customer environments. Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Help customers instrument, monitor, and debug their large multi-tiered complex applications.
- Replicate customer environments and work to identify & fix the root cause or provide interim workaround as needed.
- Debug applications using various Java / J2EE ecosystem technologies, learn new stacks, technologies added in J2EE and implement applications using them.
- Provide technical support and work with customers to tackle complex issues with the product in their environment.
- Build Customer focused functionalities to complement the product coverage.
- Developing tools to help with troubleshooting and addressing product defects, fixing bugs and following up on fixes.
Who You'll Work With
You will become a part of a standout technical team that cares about helping and contributing our clients to operate our software and successfully improve their return on investment.
We collaborate with the software engineering and Ops infrastructure teams of the largest companies in the world, and we are considered as a vital partner and extension to their internal teams.
Who You are
- 3+ years of experience required
- Solid computer science fundamentals - algorithms/data structures/algorithm complexity analysis are essential.
- Solid programming background in an object-oriented programming language is essential.
- Excellent debugging skills for JVM performance-related issues. Including an understanding of the JVMs memory management, especially pertinent to garbage collection.
- Out of the box, unorthodox thinking, self-starter and independent, but always willing to communicate and share ideas.
- Enthusiastic to learn new technologies and passionate about programming
- Must have a solid grasp on Unix/Linux including but not limited to commonly used commands, networking including troubleshooting network connectivity using tools like tcpdump/Wireshark, shell scripting (Bash, Korn, etc.) familiarity, file systems understanding, basic system performance commands, etc.
- Intermediate to advanced level familiarity with SQL and PL/SQL. Expected to understand explain plans - their purpose, and how to use those to tune queries, index management, etc. Any exposure to database internals, and tools for administration/backups/recovery etc. is a benefit.
- Exposure to or understanding of SSL/TLS and PKI .
- Proven command of written and verbal English. Any other foreign language such as German, French, Spanish, Polish, Arabic, etc. is a benefit
- Excellent customer facing skills .
- Databases: Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, NoSql - document oriented/columnar/key-value pair .
- Other Technical Skills: App Server setup/troubleshooting - WebSphere/WebLogic, Tomcat/Jetty, etc., networking troubleshooting, SSL/TLS familiarity
Why AppDynamics (Cisco)
AppDynamics is the Application Intelligence company that is part of Cisco. With AppDynamics, our customers have real-time insights into application and business performance and user behavior, so they can move faster in an increasingly complex, software-driven world. Our integrated suite of products is built on our innovative, enterprise-grade App iQ Platform that enables our customers to make faster decisions that enhance customer engagement and improve operational and business performance.
AppDynamics is uniquely positioned to enable enterprises to accelerate their digital transformations by actively monitoring, analyzing, and optimizing complex application environments at scale and in production which has led to proven success and trust with the Global 2000.