AppD Site Reliability Engineer
Location:San Francisco, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestSoftware Development, Testing
Site Reliability Engineer
SaaS Operations | San Francisco, CA
AppDynamics is an application performance monitoring solution that uses machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI) to provide real-time visibility and insight into IT environments. With our unique AIOps solution, you can take the right action at exactly the right time with automated anomaly detection, rapid root-cause analysis, and a unified view of your entire application ecosystem, including private and public clouds. Using AppDynamics, you’ll finally align IT, DevOps, and the business around the information that helps you protect your bottom line and deliver flawless customer experiences at scale.
What We Need
This individual will join a talented team of engineers responsible for the implementation and evolution of AppDynamics’ Software as a Service, keeping our SaaS Operations alive across all customer servers. You’ll be responsible for driving significant technical initiatives forward with the highest level of quality, including new services in virtualized and cloud environments. Our environment, and amount of data supported, is massive and growing exponentially year over year, emphasizing our need to constantly innovate and scale for our rapidly growing customer base. For example, we have 100M+ metrics streaming in per minute into the SaaS environment. Key responsibilities include:
- Promptly react to issues affecting the uptime of AppDynamics products
- Conduct routine maintenance activities such as upgrades, new customer provisioning, and hardware migrations
- Assist in analysis and troubleshooting of AppDynamics product performance problems
- Understand and proficiently operate SaaS environment infrastructure: monitoring systems, backups, automation tooling, reporting services, et al.
- Maintain high standards of excellence in communication and punctuality in handling of assigned tasks
- Must have 3+ years of prior experience managing and scaling complex software environments for SaaS or Web Services.
- Minimum of a Bachelors degree in CSE, EE, CSM, or related technical discipline. MS degree desired.
- AWS certification (or working on it)
- Experience with virtualization and containerization platforms (Docker, OpenStack, AWS) and container orchestration tools (Kubernetes)
- Configuration Management knowledge (Chef and/or Ansible)
- Working knowledge of Unix/Linux system administration
- Proficiency in at least one scripting language, particularly Python, Bash, or Ruby
- Knowledge of TCP and HTTP networking
- Familiarity with SQL and understanding of relational databases
- Experience in running day-to-day operations of a large-scale, distributed, production SaaS environment
- Experience using any enterprise uptime monitoring solutions
- Aptitude for troubleshooting complex problems in technologically diverse environments
- Energetic attitude and high degree of personal initiative
- Capacity for quickly and efficiently handling on-call escalations and doing after-hours support
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience using a version control system (Git, SVN, etc.)
- Experience in MySQL DB administration
- Prior experience with AppDynamics software
- Knowledge of Java
- Experience using a web server (Nginx, Apache, Glassfish)
- Excellent communication skills – oral and written. Listens and communicates effectively.
- Evidence of successful relationship management
- Available for occasional on-call after hours support.
- Works well under pressure
- Evidence of successful relationships with account and support teams.
We know that the award-winning culture at AppDynamics is something to brag about, but here are more reasons that make you excited to get out of bed to come in the morning, like:
- Medical, dental, vision coverage
- 401k match (4.5%)
- Wellness perks (gym, hobbies, education, store discounts, personal finance)
- 4 weeks PTO, 5 days VTO, 14 holidays (including 1 birthday PTO and 1 floating holiday)
- Mandatory company shut down between Christmas and New Years
- Weekly catered breakfast and lunch, and all the snacks, fruits and drinks
- Brand new state of the art office in downtown San Francisco, centrally located near BART, Caltrain, Muni, the ferry, and a bike share station
- Free shuttle service and pre-tax commuter benefits
Just a Note
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: AppDynamics does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any AppDynamics employee. AppDynamics will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered property of AppDynamics.
AppDynamics is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or any other unlawful factor. AppDynamics complies withall applicable laws, including those regarding consideration of qualified applicants with criminal histories (such as the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance). If your disability makes it difficult for you to use this site, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. AppDynamics participates in E-Verify.