AppD Senior Manager, Analyst Relations
Location:San Francisco, California, US
Additional Location(s)US Remote
Area of InterestMarketing and Communications
AppDynamics is an application performance monitoring solution that uses machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI) to provide real-time visibility and insight into IT environments. With our unique AIOps solution, you can take the right action at exactly the right time with automated anomaly detection, rapid root-cause analysis, and a unified view of your entire application ecosystem, including private and public clouds. Using AppDynamics, you’ll finally align IT, DevOps, and the business around the information that helps you protect your bottom line and deliver flawless customer experiences at scale.
What You'll Do
The Global Communications Manager - Analyst Relations, is responsible for executing and managing AppDynamics relationships with leading industry analysts by increasing the company’s interaction, visibility, and influence with a diverse analyst community. The role is a mix of internal and external analyst relations activities that include developing strong relationships with key IT and industry analysts such firms as Gartner, Forrester, IDC, 451 Research and others that are influencing buying decisions in the AppDynamics market and providing strategic market advice to a diverse set of AppDynamics stakeholders.
This role requires a broad understanding of the full breadth of AppDynamics products and services and the corresponding AppDynamics subject matter experts and executives. This knowledge will be used to build and nurture appropriate relationships with key analysts in order to drive more positive commentary, recommendations, and coverage.
The Analyst Relations lead takes advantage of the unique position that these outside influencers have with our prospects and customers to help drive revenues. This position will leverage the AR’s own market expertise and external analyst research and opinion to convey market trends and information to AppDynamics sales, marketing and executives, as well as raise the awareness of the AR program internally.
- Develop and manage strong relationships with key analysts in both the IT and industry segments for AppDynamics market
- Develop a sustainable strategy and plan that incorporates a steady cadence of regular briefings by subject matter experts, including around major product announcements and corporate news.
- Develop a set of meaningful and measurable quarterly and annual objectives vis-à-vis key analysts in our direct and adjacent markets including: application performance management; cloud, mobile and DevOps computing; IT operations analytics; IT operations management; business analytics
- Become intimately familiar with the research calendars of our key analysts to ensure optimal inclusion/coverage for AppDynamics in all relevant research; follow the research written by our expanding universe of analysts closely, and ensure that primary research is provided to key AppDynamics executives.
- Synthesize and present key findings, trends and recommendations to AppDynamics executives from the expanding and changing set of market research available
- Execute briefings and inquiries with relevant analysts and company spokespersons to ensure ongoing engagement and to affect positive opinions of AppDynamics, its market strategies, products and services with the analysts
- Increase AppDynamics inclusion in analyst research reports, market perspectives, market share data and industry event presentations, where applicable
- Assist with internal and or/custom primary research studies that can be leveraged to inform external audiences, including the analyst community
- Work to establish AppDynamics as an integral part of the end user consideration set via analyst recommendations on buying decisions
- Assist subject matter experts/spokespersons in preparing content that is tailored for that analyst audience
- Bird-dog closely a broad variety of research reports in which multiple inputs are required by key stakeholders at AppDynamics and ensure tight deadlines are met for when our feedback is due; demonstrate the capacity to add valuable edits yourself to research reports that are offered to us for factual review and suggested edits
- Maintain a steady flow of outbound communications to assigned analyst target audiences, including a quarterly letter to analysts
- Work closely with PR and Customer Relations on integrated launches and to secure customers for analysts to speak with both off and on the record; secure analyst quotes for press releases
- Manage the entire end to end process for ensuring a steady flow of timely research reports about the company and our products, including the annual Gartner MQ for APM, that can be leveraged by Sales to increase sales velocity
- Regularly assess feasibility and value of analyst involvement in go-to-market offerings
- Coordinate program execution with other disciplines such as PR and events, when appropriate
- Regularly assess the effectiveness of AppDynamics analyst relationships; develop strategies for on-boarding analysts new to the company and for increasing the strength of existing analyst relationships following the company’s progress closely
- Negotiate with, and push back on analysts who incorrectly position AppDynamics.
Who You Are
This position requires a person who possesses broad company knowledge and good relationships across the organization, so as to appropriately align the organization and the analysts’ needs.
As many of the analysts are acknowledged thought leaders in their field, they are often sensitive to any disagreement, so this position must be able to negotiate well to achieve a win-win solution, and to push back forcefully but sensitively so as to keep a positive, yet long-term, working relationship. This position requires someone with professional written as well as verbal communication / negotiation (occasionally confrontational) skills.
Successful candidates must be able to gather all facts and decipher opinions from reality quickly and then objectively, yet forcefully, communicate to the analysts/consultants, and then continue a long-term relationship.
- Wide breadth of knowledge on AppDynamics solutions and offers
- 5 to 10 years business experience in a high-tech B to B environment
- Analyst Relations experience preferred; successful sales experience a plus
- Exceptional interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in persuasive communicating / negotiating
- Strong project management skills; detail oriented; ability to re-prioritize on the fly
- Must possess exceptional judgment and demonstrate strong leadership presence
- Bachelor’s / Master’s Degree in Business or equivalent
We know that the award-winning culture at AppDynamics is something to brag about, but here are more reasons that make you excited to get out of bed to come in the morning, like:
- Medical, dental, vision coverage
- 401k match (4.5%)
- Wellness perks (hobbies, education, store discounts, personal finance)
- Annual professional development fund to build your skills in product, leadership and technical topics
- 4 weeks paid time off (PTO), 5 days volunteer time off (VTO), 14 holidays (including 1 birthday PTO and 1 floating holiday)
- Paid time away for new parents (13 weeks)
- Mandatory company shut down between Christmas and New Years
- Weekly catered breakfast and lunch, and all the snacks, fruits and drinks
- Free shuttle service and pre-tax commuter benefits