AppD Senior Director, Global Customer Success
Location:San Francisco, California, US
Area of InterestSales - Services, Solutions, Customer Success
AppDynamics is the Application Intelligence company. With AppDynamics, enterprises have real-time insights into application performance, user performance and business performance so they can move faster in an increasingly sophisticated, software-driven world. Our integrated suite of products is built on our innovative, enterprise-grade App iQ Platform that enables our customers to make faster decisions that enhance customer engagement and improve operational and business performance. AppDynamics is uniquely positioned to enable enterprises to accelerate their digital transformations by actively monitoring, analyzing, and optimizing complex application environments at scale which has led to proven success and trust with the Global 2000.
AppDynamics was acquired by Cisco Systems in April, 2017 for $3.7B, operating as an independent subsidiary. With Cisco’s resources complementing our existing strategy, we have a unique opportunity to become the next multi-billion dollar, transformational DevOps leader and ‘Central Nervous System’ for the digital world. The Customer Success organization is part of our Customer Experience (CX) organization that also includes professional services, education and support. The AppDynamics CX organization operates independently from the Cisco CX organization.
About the role:
Reporting into our Chief Customer Officer, the VP, Global Customer Success will be responsible for leading the Customer Success organization. This includes scaling a hardworking team comprised of customer success managers (CSMs) and customer success engineers (CSE) around the globe. As part of the CX organization the purpose of Customer Success is to increase software value realization and adoption in accounts. We have a scientific process that has flagged success criteria directly to the value that a customer derives from their investment in AppDynamics and a scalable process for improving on that success criteria. We don’t guess in CS, we use data to drive successful results for our customers.
The AppDynamics book of business is at a large scale and it is important that the leader of the Customer Success organization knows how to hire the best people, manage the entire book of business using data, can train and inspire a fast growing team (we’ve increased the CS team by 100% two years running) to follow a scientific process to win results and return on investment for our customers.
- Run adoption programs for all of our large customer representing over half of the entire book of business at AppDynamics
- Lead the personnel of the global AppDynamics customer success organization.
- Create and execute an operational methodology & delivery process which builds on our data driven approach to Customer Success; continue to iterate and improve on this process in collaboration with sales, customer success, and other cross-functional teams.
- Continue to refine value-based metrics which allow for a fast and predictable snapshot of account health.
- Build best-practices for CS delivery across the globe, drive consistency across regions.
- Provide feedback and input to product development.
- Build an industry-leading CS team; meet demanding hiring goals and attract top talent which reflects our core values; Lead hiring practices which emphasize a diverse range of candidate backgrounds and experiences.
- Ability to lead a multi-disciplinary team, including individual contributors, first, and second-line management.
- Clearly articulate the CS vision and strategy across AppDynamics executive leadership.
- Establish an organization known for thought-leadership within the B2B SaaS CS community.
- 7+ years experience leading growth-oriented professional services, consulting, customer success, support, or similar customer-focused delivery organizations in the B2B SaaS industry. You thrive in high-growth environments and understand the demands of fast-moving, modern SaaS enterprise customers. Prior VP-level experience not required, but this needs to be a leader with the executive maturity necessary to carry a high-growth SaaS post-sales organization.
- We would be happy to speak with next level below VP applications who show significant career promise and ambition
- Expertise servicing large, complex enterprise customers across a variety of verticals with a SaaS subscription pricing model. The organizations you’ve led emphasize consultative, proactive support and delivering tangible, high-value customer outcomes.
- General management capability; experience meeting the demands of a P&L and building a self-sustaining business.
- We want people who take customer success seriously as a science, not based on gut and feel.
- Demonstrated experience leading and scaling post-sales teams, whether at a start-up, growth-stage company, or within a larger organization. Ideally someone who has led remotely distributed teams of 40+.
- Must be an inspirational communicator and motivator of an entirely remote customer success team; an advocate for customer success internally and externally. You will be on stage. You need to inspire.
- Executive-level problem-solving, interpersonal, and leadership skills are a must.
- You are a true leader who aims to inspire your team and customers alike.
- You set the tone as far as exemplifying AppDynamics’ core values. Others would describe you as high-integrity.
- Analytical by nature, you value data-driven decisions and transparency.
- Intrinsically motivated by helping others succeed – team members and customers.
- Highly entrepreneurial, not phased by change or ambiguity.
We take great pride in the award-winning culture at AppDynamics. For example:
- Medical, dental, vision coverage.
- 401k match (4.5%)
- Wellness perks (gym, hobbies, education, store discounts, personal finance).
- 4 weeks paid time off (PTO), 5 days volunteer time off (VTO), 14 holidays (including 1 birthday PTO and 1 floating holiday).
- Mandatory company shut down between Christmas and New Years.
- Weekly catered breakfast and lunch, and all the snacks, fruits and drinks your heart desires, monthly happy hour events, and weekly massages.
- Free shuttle service and pre-tax commuter benefits.