AppD - Product Design Director - Bangalore
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestAI or Artificial Intelligence, Big Data, Analytics
Product Design Director, Bangalore
AppDynamics is an application performance monitoring solution that uses machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI) to provide real-time visibility and insight into IT environments. With our unique AIOps solution, IT professionals can take the right action at exactly the right time with automated anomaly detection, rapid root-cause analysis, and a unified view of their entire application ecosystem, including private and public clouds. AppDynamics lets customers align IT, DevOps, and the business around the information that helps them protect their bottom line and deliver flawless customer experiences at scale.
You are an experienced UX leader with a track record of successfully running highly collaborative, fully agile, globally distributed design teams. You are equal parts designer, design communicator, technologist, and strategic product thinker who loves engaging with leadership and knows how to encourage a team of designers to achieve outstanding results. Your own background solving complex design problems for expert and technical users makes you deeply empathetic to their problems. You have a natural passion for user-centered design methods and practices, you still love to do excellent design work yourself, and you love teaching and mentoring your team. You are at home in a large, dynamic software organization, navigating the people, processes, and systems with ease.
About The Role
AppDynamics has built a world-class, user-centered design practice. We deliver innovative, well-crafted product designs that provide clarity, continuity and context for the IT professionals who use our product. This role requires expertise and demonstrated leadership in agile design practice to help us to grow and transform our geographically co-located cross-functional squads and crews into a fully agile organization. As head of the Bangalore Product Design team, you are strategically positioned to co-lead a single, globally distributed design team. Maintaining clear communication and tight collaboration with your peers in the San Francisco Bay Area are keys to success in this role, though most day-to-day work will happen with your Design, Product, and Engineering colleagues based in our Bangalore office.
As Product Design Director, Bangalore, you will:
- Lead a team of designers responsible for design in several cross-functional squads who are delivering defined roadmaps following agile principles
- Day to day, manage, mentor and empower individual staff members to produce their very best work, supervise their performance and career goals, and develop and measure their OKRs
- Lead design reviews, communicate design concepts to leadership and engineering, contribute to roadmap planning, and sprint planning
- Drive and iteratively deliver innovative solutions that make it easier for the people who use our product to make quality decisions faster with greater confidence
- Empower your team to work in a user-centered fashion, gathering and synthesizing qualitative and quantitative data in partnership with the User Research team.
- Encourage product designers on your staff to build and communicate innovative design concepts, sketches, storyboards, wireframes, mocks, diagrams and prototypes, consistent with company standards and best practices.
- Set staffing strategy, recruit, interview, hire, and onboard new members of the Product Design team.
- Work cross functionally with your peers in Design Tech and Design Ops to ensure your team is fully engaged in our agile design process, and using and contributing to the AppDynamics design system.
Experience that will help you succeed in this role:
- In addition to your experience as an individual contributor, at least 4 years of experience leading design teams on strategically impactful, large-scale enterprise design projects as part of a globally distributed software organization.
- 8+ years as an individual contributor, designing effective user-centered product experiences of moderate to advanced complexity
- A track record of integrating fully agile design process into larger agile product/engineering workflows
- Efficiently and effectively managing multiple contributors working as part of a cross-functional product team
- Hands on experience conducting user research on your own design concepts, working with user research specialists, and leading other designers in that capacity
- Expert at communicating design concepts effectively to a wide variety of audiences (such as business, product, engineering, sales, and product support)
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Design or HCI