1297752 Customer Delivery Consulting Engineer
Location:Annapolis Junction, Maryland, US
Area of InterestCustomer Experience
Compensation Range115300 USD - 158400 USD
*** The successful applicant will be performing work on US Government classified environments, and therefore, must be a U.S. Person (i.e., U.S. citizen, U.S. national, lawful permanent resident, asylee, or refugee). This position may also perform work that the U.S. government has specified can only be performed by a U.S. citizen on U.S. soil. The successful applicant must have a current US Government TS/SCI Full Scope Poly Clearance ***
What You'll Do
CX Americas, US Public Sector Advanced Services delivers innovative, end to end, optimized networking and architecture solutions to public sector IT leaders who are accelerating their mission by redefining their IT. Serving the U.S. Federal government, state and local governments, education, and publicly funded healthcare, we provide senior technical expertise, deep knowledge of the public sector domain, and a strong commitment to the missions of this unique group of customers.
The Network Consulting Engineer position is responsible for the support and delivery of Advanced Services Network Optimization, Security, and/or Unified Collaboration services to Cisco's Tier 1 Customers in the US Public Sector market. In this role, you will be "Cisco's face to the customer" working in a fast-paced, high-impact environment as a visible contributor delivering on our commitments. The ideal candidate is a creative problem solver, comfortable with challenging the status quo and able to rapidly respond to escalated issues. With a top-tier mix of broad networking knowledge and specific area expertise, as well as excellent customer relationship skills, you're well positioned to become a trusted advisor capable of building solid, long-term relationships with customers.
Who You'll Work With
The National Security Operations team is comprised of geographically dispersed engineers that design, architect, and support work on critical networks with innovative Cisco solutions. This team is leading the way in providing foundational engineering and operations support with the expectation for networks and data centers to perform at the highest possible levels. We work with our customer in getting their infrastructure ready for future architectures and solutions and assisting them in navigating through proof of concepts and introduction of the same. Strong relationship building and interpersonal skills are traits of successful consultants in this organization. We are strongly focused on continuous development and training on new products/technologies that keep us in a leading position as industry network consulting leaders.
As part of this team, you will work directly with our customers and gain hands-on experience and exposure into their networks. You will collaborate on a variety of projects that have a real impact to our nation’s security. We will value your ideas and perspective on how to get things done. You will work on network infrastructures and help to deliver business solutions and technology solutions from data, security, mobility, and cloud.
Who You Are
- Drives technology design, implementation, execution and/or optimization for customer projects/accounts.
- Works with customers to plan, design, configure and/or diagnose Cisco’s suite of products, services and solutions to accelerate customer outcomes.
- Assists customers with integration and implementation of tools, systems and service assurance.
- Translate business requirements into solution design.
- Builds customer simulations in test labs to resolve/validate complex problems and compatibility issues.
- Creates and delivers customer collateral, portals, documentation and knowledge transfer.
- Aligns technical deliverables to customer business outcomes.
- Drives customer technology transitions, influencing solution architectures and services.
- Aligns with and supports company policies and processes and applies relevant tools to effectively execute the role and support Professional Services’ strategies and goals.
- Individual contributor.
Role & Responsibilities
- Decisions impact the quality, efficiency and effectiveness of own team and other teams whose work activities are closely related, including cross-functional teams.
- Ability to understand and communicate project scope and map it to customer business goals and objectives.
- Works extensively with customers along with appropriate internal and external resources (e.g. Cisco account teams, partners) on the strategy/deployment/optimization of Cisco services and solutions.
- Takes leadership role in execution of delivery projects.
- Improves solutions and methods developed in the field for use to the wider practice (knowledge sharing).
- Creates, reviews and approves project deliverables (e.g. Design recommendations, High Level Design, Low Level Design, Implementation/ Change Management Plans).
- Builds and/or leverages test environments as required to resolve highly complex problems and compatibility issues.
- Leverages software skills and tools to configure, deploy and/or troubleshoot Cisco products and solutions. Contributes in the development of digital intellectual capital (e.g. scripts, digital signatures).
- Acts as a focal point for problem resolution for assigned customer engagements. Assures proper and quick resolution of complex customer problems across a broad range of technologies.
- Collaborates with other Consulting Engineers in appropriate technology domains to ensure optimal use of resources to meet customer needs.
- Typically interacts with individual contributors, managers, and works with customers regularly. Collaborates with Sales Team in creating and demonstrating technology solutions to customers.
- Solves highly complex problems and is able to identify viable and often innovative options, and uses analytical skills and judgment to recommend an appropriate solution.
- Independently applies known solutions and templates to complete deliverables. Leads in creating and delivering consulting recommendations to the customer. Identifies and initiates the collaboration for problems of diverse scope and complexity. Creates templates, intellectual capital, and standardized materials for future reuse and delivery.
- Typically requires BSc Computer Science or equivalent plus 5-8 years of relevant work experience. Advanced degree strongly preferred.
- Expert level (e.g. CCIE) or equivalent relevant certification desired
- CISSP, Security+ or equivalent required
- Cisco DevNet certification is preferred
- Has working knowledge of software programmability, automation, orchestration and/or virtualization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal and presentation skills. Ability to function in ambiguous circumstances. Possesses consulting skills including ability to build relationships with customers, engineers, managers level & above.
- Demonstrates expertise on broad range of technologies and delivery methods.
- Client facing experience. Ability to be onsite 3-4 days/week at the customer location.
In depth knowledge in one or more of the following technical domains:
- Domain expert within Cisco’s core collaboration technologies consisting of Cisco Unified Communication Manager, Cisco Call manager Express, Cisco Unity Express, Cisco Unity Connection, Cisco IM&P, Cisco Jabber.
- Experience with gateway protocols (MGCP/H.323/SIP/SCCP) in addition to well versed knowledge working with PSTN connections (FXS/FXO/T1/PRI/SIP/CUBE) is required. Acceptable candidate should be able to lead technical discussions surrounding core Cisco UC applications consisting of configuration, implementation, troubleshooting and day to day maintenance.
- The candidate should have experience within enterprise UC environments both in troubleshooting complex scenarios and collaborating with the client and other team members to reach outcomes the meet the client’s needs.
- Experienced in providing complex design recommendations integrating new features and new applications to Senior Leadership Teams. Advocate for the customer’s best interest and promote Cisco.
- Have Route/Switch advanced knowledge and experience with the following areas: Cisco Routing & Switching Platforms, Datacenter Switching Platforms, IP Routing, Internetworking, MPLS, LAN Switching, Multicast, Route Redistribution
- Familiarity with features, examples include: MPLS (L2/L3 VPN/VRF-Lite) and MPLS-TE, BGP, ISIS, OSPF, EIGRP, inter-as, QoS, Ipv6, IP SLAs, RPVST+, MST, PIM, DMVPN, GETVPN, NetFlow, PfR
Must have knowledge of Data Center Networking and various Cisco components (NEXUS, UCS, etc.) that can deliver these capabilities
- vPC, fabricpath, STP
- Data Center Layer 2 overlays for example VXLAN, OTV, EVPN
- Network management protocols for example PTP, NTP, DNS, DHCP
- Traffic management for example queuing, policing, shaping
- Layer 2 security features for example port security, MACsec, ACL, private vlans
- Routing Protocols and features for example OSPF, ISIS, MBGP, IBGP, PBR, BFD
- Layer 3 Overlay Protocols for example OTV, LISP
- Multicast protocols for example PIM, IGMP, RP, BSR
- Layer 3 security features for example CoPP, ACL's, DAI, ip source guard
- Monitoring services for example Netflow
- Policy driven External Fabric Connectivity for example L2/L3 connectivity
- Candidate must have advanced knowledge and experience with the following areas: System Hardening and Availability, Threat Identification and Mitigation, Intrusion Prevention and Content Security, Identity Management, ASA Firewall/VPN, IOS Firewall and Confidentiality and Secure Access (PKI, IKE, RSA, etc.)
- Has experience with ISE, FirePower, SteathWatch, ASA, Firewall and/or IPS
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire salaries in U.S. locations. For non-sales roles, the hiring ranges reflect base salary and do not include bonuses, equity, or benefits. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive target, and do not include equity or benefits. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.