Security Consulting Engineer (Intern) - United States
Location:RTP, North Carolina, US
Alternate LocationRichardson, Texas - Chicago, Illinois - New York, New York- Denver, Colorado
Area of InterestCustomer Experience
What You’ll Do
Everything is converging on the Internet, making networked connections more relevant than ever. Our employees have groundbreaking ideas that impact everything imaginable - from entertainment, retail, healthcare, and education, to public and private sectors, smart cities, smart cars, and everyday devices in our homes. Here, that means you’ll take creative ideas from the drawing board to powerful solutions that have real world impact. You’ll collaborate with Cisco leaders, partner with experienced mentors, and develop incredible relationships with colleagues who share your interest in connecting the unconnected. You’ll be part of a team that cares about its customers, enjoys having fun, and you’ll participate in changing the lives of those in our local communities. Come prepared to be inspired.
Who You'll Work With
Let’s change the world together. You will work directly with our customers and gain hands-on experience and exposure into their networks. Be immersed in a small close-knit group of cohorts, to collaborate on several projects that have a real impact. You will be working on network infrastructures, delivering business solutions and technology solutions from data, security, mobility, and the cloud. We will value your ideas on how to get things done, while learning from industry leaders.
What the Security Customer Experience Organization Does
Cisco Security Customer Experience (CX) organization supports customers through the entire lifecycle of a security solution: from understanding business needs to deploying custom solutions, from optimizing existing solutions to developing applications that meets specific needs; from helping customers to maintain their solutions to helping them investigate potential security incidents. As a Security Consulting Engineer Intern, you will be able to interact with customers and learn how Cisco plan, design, deploy and optimize Security Solution while acquiring the technical and consultative skills required to properly delight Cisco customers. During the internship you will also have the opportunity to interact with other Cisco organizations and learn how they contribute to enable our customers to achieve their business goals.
Security Consulting Services
Our Security Consulting Services Team is distributed across the US. We provide security professionals that can assist our customers with their security challenges, irrespective of the security products they have in their environment. Additionally, we offer strategic consulting, aligned with Cisco’s product offerings, to help customers with business case development and product adoption.
Our focus in Security Consulting is to help our customers get better at securing their organization and integrating security into their business needs. Our Security Consultants help our customers understand complex security needs by identifying challenges, risks and vulnerabilities in technology, people, and processes. We achieve this through understanding business objectives and how those objectives influence security decisions, developing strategies and roadmaps to address these requirements and providing support to existing programs and projects. Engagements include security program building, developing layered security models, compliance assessments (against various compliance frameworks), implementation planning, design and execution.
Consulting Services is also focused on assisting our clients to use and get the most value from their Cisco security products. We advise our customers to adopt and utilize best in breed Cisco security technologies, using tried and true methodologies for deployment and migration. We focus on aligning our technologies, or mix of technologies, to accomplish our customer’s business goal through a consultative approach. We believe that no one knows Cisco products better than our own Cisco resources. Our customers feel the same way.
A sample of the products that our Consulting Services team works with are: Secure Endpoints (AMP for Endpoints), Secure Network Analytics (Stealthwatch), Secure Email, Secure Firewall (Firepower Next Generation Firewall), Umbrella/SIG, Secure Web Appliance, Secure Workload (Tetration), Secure Access by Duo, Identity Services Engine (ISE), AnyConnect (VPN), Cyber Vision, SecureX platform. You'll have the opportunity to work directly with a mentor to learn and take part in customer interactions and projects, helping you better understand our business and shape your skills.
Key Elements of the Role
- You will attend on-site design and configuration sessions with a Security Consulting mentor
- You will collect requirements from customers for projects to meet critical business goals
- You will work with a team mentor to define the business goals and requirements for integration efforts
- You will identify and support large-scale-design efforts for customer network integrations
- You will configure lab devices with configuration templates or system configurations which will be used in customers’ production implementations
- You will aid in analyzing and designing policy creation for Identity Services, Firewalls, Visibility Solutions and Cloud-based solutions.
- You will analyze customer configurations and provide feedback on possible improvements to the configuration to improve alignment with customer business goals
- You will evaluate customer logs or Netflow data to advise on improvements aligned with their business goals
- You will learn and understand Security Policies, Standards, Procedures and Guidelines
- You will be able to leverage programming languages (Java/Python/C++) and open source automation platforms (Ansible/Chef/Terraform) to develop tailor-made automation capabilities to customers using Cisco application programming interfaces
Who You Are
- You're actively pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Information Systems (or equivalent) with software development skill set or interest in Information Security
- You have knowledge of IT systems, networking concepts, TCP/IP protocols, network devices and applications, OSI 7-layer model, or code development
- You have a desire and passion for Information Security and willingness to learn and teach yourself tough concepts
- You are able to work well in small dynamic teams and balance multiple responsibilities
- You have the ability and desire to work on collaborative teams across the US
- You are comfortable handling ambiguity and unknowns associated with technical projects
- You are a self-motivated individual that feels comfortable working on remote teams
- You possess excellent written and verbal skills
We Are Cisco
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference. Here’s how we do it.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (30 years strong!) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. An AI/Machine Learning company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, we give our egos a break, and we give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, we take bold steps, and we take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a commitment to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!