Data Center Consulting Software System Engineer I
Apply for Job
Date: Sep 6, 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA, US
Company: Cisco Systems, Inc.
|Additional Location(s) or Information: UNITED STATES.NORTH CAROLINA.RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK|
|Job Category: Systems Engineering|
|Level of Experience: Experienced - Non Manager|
|Requisition #: R968268|
|Data Center - Consulting Engineer
The Cisco Data Center Consulting Engineer is a position that will lead the charge in Cisco’s Enterprise Theatre efforts to enable our offerings as holistic solutions and our customer’s consumption of workloads, both inside and outside of Cisco. The two most important deliverables for the Consultant will be the messaging and demystification of our Data Center strategy to field sales teams, as well as messaging vision and guidance for partners and external customers. Of equal importance, the Consultant will be a trusted funnel for relevant information back to the Business Units and technology groups for product development and direction - including product requirements, development, marketing, packaging and aggregated feedback.
Desired skills for this position include a st rong background in consultative, architecture-based pre-sales, detailed knowledge of major cloud provider offers and positioning. Strong working knowledge in at least some of the following: networking, compute, storage/backup, security, management/orchestration tools, infrastructure as a service and collaboration. Background in one or more major enterprise business applications (ex: Microsoft, Oracle, SAP, etc.) along with modern scripting languages and operating systems are a plus. A solid knowledge of Cloud workload expansion, IAAS, Cloud bursting and the competition for Cisco in that space is important. Extremely strong executive relationship, presentation, written and verbal communication skills are a must. The candidate must be able to work across Enterprise sales and BU teams in a productively collaborative manner.
The journey of our customer’s evolution in the consumption of workloads and networked application services, in addition to Cisco Cloud services will include many different technology domains. It will include very different thinking about consumption, governance and policy modeling and operation considerations for workload placement and lifecycle management in the Data Center, as well as in the multi-tiered Cloud models. It will be the Consultant’s responsibility to lead the charge in messaging for the assigned Enterprise territory. This position will also be extremely dynamic; you are messaging the mid-term (1-2 year) Data Center, Virtualization and Cloud vision, but also messaging the more immediate (3-6 months) product/feature deliverable and tactical sales and go-to-market efforts for supported product lines and technical solutions (multiple converged product lines.) Ultimately, the person who is who is best suited for this position must be a very dynamic, with an energetic personality who is willing to spend time in non-concrete messaging, keeping in mind what the concrete deliverables would look like to back this up. This concrete model will include familiarity with management of multiple storage components, virtualization, compute, network, storage and services platforms and packages, ranging from open (OpenStack) to Enterprise platforms (VMware/Microsoft). The holistic model also includes orchestration systems, e.g.-UCS Director, Cisco Intelligent Automation for Cloud and Cisco Prime, with the Consultant needing to execute lower-level discussions on some of these elements as the solutions requirements get defined and field teams/customers dive deeper into the tactical deliverable components of those UCS consumption models.
As Cisco progresses from a completely customer-capex consumption model to more of a virtualization and cloud-consumption model, all of Cisco and all of our Data Center partners/customers will have to bend their thinking to this new way of operations - from how a field SE or AM talks to customers about addressing their business needs to how business units develop interfaces and products and how executives forecast. The Consultant will be a fulcrum resource in balancing the equation of what Cisco provides, what customers want, and how customers consume.
Key Technical Domain Expertise
• End-to-end DC Virtualization and Cloud Architecture integration experience
• Engagement lead is based on being up to date with latest data center orchestration/automation software suites. and virtualization / cloud (VMware vs. Hyper-V vs. open source, different orchestration stacks, etc.) and the interdependency between technology and business environment
• The Consultant us expected to be up to date and continuously working to attain an expert skillset in our automation tool set UCS Director Software and Prime Service Catalogue.
• Has deep understanding of data center management and orchestration, and enterprise application environments as well as key horizontal applications.
• Grasps the gradual transition toward open-source environments, risks and opportunities of open source software. Understands the interdependency of domains, networking, compute, storage, security and the various current solution technologies
• Solid experience with Linux and Microsoft operating systems; experience with other Unix operating systems and OpenStack are a plus
• Scripting ability and conversant in Python and Powershell
• Ability to deploy/leverage Puppet and/or Chef configuration management tools
• Broad technical knowledge of the Cisco data center three infrastructure pillars: Storage, Network and Server, and Cloud and Virtualization strategies surrounding their planning, design, implementation, operation, and optimization
• Should have a solid understanding of DevOps development methodologies
• Architectural knowledge of orchestration/virtualization tools and concepts
• Knowledge and experience with multiple platform interoperability and utility/grid computing, including:
o Working knowledge of HA and DR architectures and processes
o Datacenter Migration - approaches, typical timelines
• Working knowledge and understanding of common public cloud offers (AWS, Azure, Rackspace, Di-Data, etc.)
Consulting and Interpersonal Skills required
• Self-starter and thought leader, quickly establishing executive interest in how to architect, deploy and operate the virtualized data center of the future.
• Excellent written, verbal and presentation and chalkboard skills
• Understands and can articulate the value and business advantage of data center virtualization techniques and cloud architectures
• Strong customer-facing sales and architectural skills.
• Ability to quickly establish credibility and excitement with CxO to IT Managers, as well as work collaboratively with hands on Operation-level technical professionals - the full spectrum of the end users Data Center buying teams
• Can oversee complex projects and direct/cooperate with a project management organization
• The position will require travel within the assigned Enterprise territory
|Job Type: Experienced|
|Opportunity Category: Data Center|
Nearest Major Market: Atlanta
Job Segment: Engineer, Software Engineer, Systems Engineer, Consultant, Consulting, Engineering, Contract